is small town situated immediately to the south of the city of Stirling.
is named after the Bannock Burn, a small stream running through the
village before flowing into the River Forth
bog land surrounding the Bannock Burn was the site of the Battle of
Bannockburn fought in 1314 - one of the main battles of the 13th/14th
century Wars of Independence between Scotland and England.
A statue of
Robert the Bruce is situated at the Bannockburn Heritage Centre
commerating the victory over the English forces at Bannockburn in 1314.
circular-arch stone bridge, built by engineer Thomas Telford, spans the
burn downstream of the battle site. The population for the area covered by
the new Bannockburn ward is 3761.