Stories from our WebBoard
or bees bothering you? Spray them with hair spray and they will take a
Sealed envelope - Put in the freezer for a few hours,then slide a knife
under the flap. The envelope can then be resealed.
Use empty toilet paper roll to store appliance cords in. It keeps them
neat and you can write on the roll what appliance it belongs to.
For icy door steps in freezing temperatures: get warm water and put dish
washing liquid in it. Pour it all over the steps.They won't refreeze.
Crayon marks on walls? This worked wonderfully! A damp rag dipped in
baking soda. Comes of with little effort (elbow grease that is!).
Permanent marker on appliances/counter tops (like store receipt
BLUE!);rubbing alcohol on paper towel.
Whenever you purchase a box of S.O.S Pads, immediately take a pair of
scissors and cut each pad into halves. Now a box of S.O.S pads last much
longer. And scissors get sharpened this way!
Blood stains on clothes? Not to worry! Just pour a little peroxide on a
cloth and proceed to wipe off every drop of blood. Works every time!
Use vertical strokes when washing windows outside and horizontal for
inside windows. This way you can tell which side has the streaks.
Straight vinegar will get outside windows really clean. *Don't wash
windows on a sunny day. They will dry too quickly and will probably
Spray a bit of perfume on the light bulb in any room to create a lovely
light scent in each room when the light is turned on.
Place fabric softener sheets in dresser drawers and your clothes will
smell freshly washed for weeks to come. You can also do this with towels
Candles will last a lot longer if placed in the freezer for at least 3
hours prior to burning.
To clean artificial flowers, pour some salt into a paper bag and add the
flowers. Shake vigorously as the salt will absorb all the dust and dirt
and leave your artificial flowers looking like new! Works like a charm!
1. Stuff a miniature marshmallow in the bottom of a sugar cone to
prevent ice cream drips.
2. Use a meat baster to "squeeze" your pancake batter onto the
hot griddle and you'll get perfectly shaped pancakes every time.
3. To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the
4. To prevent eggshells from cracking, add a pinch of salt to the water
5. Run your hands under cold water before pressing Rice Krispies treats
in the pan and the marshmallow won't stick to your fingers.
6. To get the most juice out of fresh lemons, bring them to room
temperature and roll them under your palm against the kitchen counter
7. To easily remove burnt on food from your skillet, simply add a drop
or two of dish soap and enough water to cover bottom of pan, and bring
to a boil on stove top.
8. Spray your Tupperware with nonstick cooking spray before pouring in
tomato based sauces and there won't be any stains.
9. When a cake recipe calls for flouring the baking pan,use a bit of the
dry cake mix instead and there won't be any white mess on the outside of
10. If you accidentally over-salt a dish while it's still cooking, drop
in a peeled potato and it will absorb the excess salt for an instant
"fix me up."
11. Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator and it
will keep for weeks.
12. Brush some beaten egg white over pie crust before baking to yield a
beautiful glossy finish.
13. Place a slice of apple in hardened brown sugar to soften it.
14. When boiling corn on the cob, add a pinch of sugar to help bring out
the corn's natural sweetness.
15. To determine whether an egg is fresh, immerse it in a pan of cool,
salted water. If it sinks, it is fresh, but if it rises to the surface,
throw it away.
16. Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half and rub it on your
forehead. The throbbing will go away.
17. Don't throw out all that leftover wine: Freeze into ice cubes for
future use in casseroles and sauces.
18. If you have a problem opening jars: Try using latex dish washing
gloves. They give a non-slip grip that makes opening jars easy.
19. Potatoes will take food stains off your fingers. Just slice and rub
raw potato on the stains and rinse with water.
20. To get rid of itch from mosquito bites, try applying soap on the
area and you will experience instant relief.
21. Ants, ants, ants everywhere ... Well, they are said to never cross a
chalk line. So get your chalk out and draw a line on the floor or
wherever ants tend to march. See for yourself.
22. Use air-freshener to clean mirrors. It does a good job and better
still, leaves a lovely smell to the shine.
23. When you get a splinter, reach for the scotch tape before resorting
to tweezers or a needle. Simply put the scotch tape over the splinter,
then pull it off. Scotch tape removes most splinters painlessly and
24. Now look what you can do with Alka Seltzer. Clean a toilet. Drop in
two Alka Seltzer tablets, wait twenty minutes, brush and flush. The
citric acid and effervescent action clean vitreous China.
25. Clean a vase. To remove a stain from the bottom of a glass vase or
cruet, fill with water and drop in two Alka Seltzer tablets.
26. Polish jewelry. Drop two Alka Seltzer tablets into a glass of water
and immerse the jewelry for two minutes.
27. Clean a thermos bottle. Fill the bottle with water,drop in four Alka
Seltzer tablets, and let soak for an hour (or longer, if necessary).
28. Unclog a drain. Clear the sink drain by dropping three Alka Seltzer
tablets down the drain followed by a cup of Heinz White Vinegar. Wait a
few minutes, then run the hot water.
29. Do your friends a favor. Pass this timely (and some not-so-timely)
information on to a friend or two."
WebBoard Story Index