Briuin, although they were Laiginian (the original "Three Connachts" included
the Ui Neill, who branched eastwards and started a new and separate dynasty in the early
5th century A.D.). The MacKeoghs (Mac Eochadha) are a branch of the O’KeIlys, and
were formerly chiefs of Moyfinn in the Barony of Athlone in County Roscommon.
The O’Fahys (O Fathaigh) were chiefs of
a territory known as Poblewinterfahy (Pobal Mhuintir Ui Fhathaigh), which lay in the
Barony of Loughrea in south-central Galway. They remained in possession of these lands
down to the Cromwellian confiscations of the mid-seventeenth century. Fahysvillage, in
Loughrea, recalls their presence there.
The O’Horans (O hUghroin; later O
hOghrain) are a branch of the Ui Maine, and were originally seated around Clonrush in the
south of County Galway, where they remained numerous and held large estates down to the
Cromwellian confiscations of the mid seventeenth century. A branch migrated early to
County Mayo, where they became co-arbs (hereditary successors) of St. Mochua at the abbey
The O’Sheehans (O Siodhachain) are a Ui
Maine sept of Galway that in the High Middle Ages (tenth—thirteenth centuries) were
hereditary trumpeters to The O’Kelly. They later spread into neighboring County
Clare, and became attached to the ruling dynasty there, under the Ui Toirdealbhaign or
O’Briens, and as a result came to be regarded as Dalcassian.
The Clann Bhreasail were settled in
southeastern County Galway between Lochrea and Ballinasloe. Their chief family was that of
O’Donnellan (O Domhnallain), the head of which family resided at his castle at
Ballydonnellan in the clan territory. The family was famous as ollavs (professors), and
produced several famous poets, mentioned in the Annals.
The Clann Uadach or O’Fallons (O
Fallamhain) were lords of a territory in the barony of Athlone which comprised the
parishes of Camma and Dysart, in the south of what is now County Roscommon. The ruins of
their castle are at Milltown, in the parish of Dysart.
The Siol nAnmchadha or O’Maddens (O
Madain were of the same stock as the O’Kellys, from whom they separated and became
independent about 1050. They descend from Madadhan (slain A.D. 1008), son of Gadhra Mor,
chief of the Ui Maine from 1014 to 1027. The clan-lands, called after them Siol
nAnmchadha, comprised the modern barony of Longford in the southeast of County Galway, and
also the parish of Lusnagh in County Offaly, on the other side of the Shannon. They held
these lands under the Burke overlordship and remained in possession down to the
Cromwellian confiscations of the mid seventeenth century (some of their confiscated
estates were restored to them under the Act of Settlement in 1677). In 1612, Donal
O’Madden, "captain of his nation," settled all of his estates, including
his manor and castle of Longford, on his son and heir, Anmchadh, or Ambrose,
O’Madden, in tail male.