THE large Map is constructed and
coloured to show the situation and possessions of the Clans, and the
properties of the landlords, in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland.
The Clans are enumerated in two Acts
of the Scots Parliament, passed in
1587 and 1594 respectively, as to which see
pages 3 and 7. The names of the landlords are appended to the Act of 1587.
There is thus historical
authority for the names and possessions of the persons occupying all the
north of Scotland at the end of the sixteenth century.
This early date was selected,
because then most of the Highland tribes were still in occupation of the
lands which they had inherited from their forefathers. During the troubles
of the following century some of the weaker clans were deprived of their
possessions by their stronger neighbours. (1)
In compiling the Map Mr Johnston and
Colonel Robertson made every effort to secure accuracy. It will be
understood, however, that in most cases the boundaries of clan territories
can be only approximately indicated.
The rotation and numbering of the
Clans and Landlords have been made as they occur in the Acts of Parliament
(see page 9).
On the Map the residences of the
chiefs and heads of families are marked in black, having the number of the
clan below in upright print, while the possessions of the landlords are
named in italics with Roman numerals.
General Stewart of Garth’s well-known map
shows the clan territories as in 1745. Mr W. B. Blaikie’s
Itinerary of Prince Charles Edward Stuart
(Scottish History Society,
1897) contains a fine map, based, as regards the clan boundaries, on
General Stewart’s, with some necessary modifications.