history of Scotland, shrouded by the mists of time, indicates that the
name 'Hall', is a Norman surname. the name 'Hall', was found in
Lincolnshire [England] where they were granted lands after the Norman
Conquest in 1066.
Upon entering England with the Norman
Conquest, the Hall's were actually 'FITZ WILLIAM'S', they being settled in
Greatford Hall in Lincolnshire, and being directly descended from
Wentworth, Earl FitzWilliam. The younger son of this noble house, Arthur
FitzWilliam, was called 'Hall', to distinguish him from his senior
brother. Hence Arthur Hall would be the first on record about the year
1090 AD. The line continued in Lincolnshire, and intermarried with the
Crispins, and the Earls of Chester. In Cheshire [England], the Hall's were
a cadet branch of the Kingsley Hall's of that county. By 1340 AD, the name
had moved northward at the invitation of Earl David of Huntingdon, later
to become King David of Scotland. In Scotland, they were granted lands in
Berwickshire, specifically the lands of Glenryg in the barony of
The first Hall of Fulbar in Renfrewshire
was Thomas de Aula [Latin] for Hall], surgeon, who for his faithful
service obtained from King Robert II a grant of land in the tenement of
Staneley, barony of Renfrewshire, in 1370 AD [The register of the great
seal of Scotland, volume I, pages 407, and 540]. The direct line of Hall
of Fulbar ceased circa 1550 AD.
The Hall's were one of the sixty (60) major
riding families of the Anglo-Scottish border and were involved in reiving
as other border clans were. During one of the 'Day of Truce' occasions, a
Robert Spragon 'fyled' a complaint against two Halls that had rustled 120
sheep. The traditional homes of the Hall's were at Redesdale in England;
East Teviotdale, and Liddesdale, in Scotland. Some notables in the
Scottish East March were: John Hall of Newbigging; George Hall (called
Pats Geordie there; Andrew Hall of the Sykes, and Thom Hall in Fowlscheils.
Other Hall's lived in Aynstrother; Glenryg, in the barony of Lesmahagow;
Garvald; Irvide; Glasgow; Sancharmvr, in Preswick; and Perth.
The village of Otterburn, known for the
famous battle and border ballad of the same name, contains an old Pele
tower that was owned at one time by the Umfravilles. The property passed
into the possession of the Hall family. A Hall by the name of 'Mad Jack
Hall'' lived here and was also hung at Tyburn for his participation in the
The border ballad 'The Death of Parcy Reed'
describes an incident that involved the 'fause hearted Hall's of
By 1600 AD, many branches had developed in
England and Scotland: Lord Llanover, Sir John Hall, Bishop Hall of
Bristol, Bishop Hall of Wearmouth, and at the same time, continuing their
interest and seats at Skelton Castle, Yorkshire, Greatford Hall in
Lincolnshire, and Gravell House in Middlesex. Notable amongst the family
at this time was Hall of Berwickshire.
This information comes
courtesy of W. Wiseman of New