KIRKPATRICK / KILPATRICK: Both forms would appear to derive from a common source - a chapel, or cell, dedicated to St Patrick, and such was known in the Dumfries-shire parish of Closeburn where the names are known from the 12th century. The frequency of its occurrence in early charters would indicate that the family quickly rose to prominence, and that both spellings (Kil.. & Kirk..) were interchangeable in use. In 1232, Ivone de Kirkpatrick was granted a charter of 'Kelosburn' by Alexander II, and here they remained until 1783, when an imprudent heir was obliged to dispose of his inheritance. When Bruce murdered the 'Red Comyn' within the Greyfriars Church of Dumfries in 1306, he was accompanied by Roger de Kirkpatrick who, tradition says, administered the 'coup de grace' - this event being recalled in the family crest of 'a hand holding a dagger dripping blood', with the motto 'I make sure'. The links between the Dumfries Kilpatricks/Kirkpatricks and the Colquhouns of Luss in the Lennox remains a subject of debate, but the facts appear to show that, in the reign of Alexander II, (1214-1249), a Humphrey de Kilpatrick obtained a charter of the lands of Colquhoun from the Earl of Lennox, and that Humphrey's son Ingram was the first to assume the name Colquhoun. It may be remarked that both Humphrey and Ivan (= Ivone ?) are popular names with Colquhouns, and that a Humphrey de Kilpatrick appears in charters relating to the Lennox, and others relating to Dumfries-shire - all of similar date. Geographically, the name 'Kilpatrick' is now most closely associated with the Lennox, while places named 'Kirkpatrick' are largely confined to Dumfries-shire, and it is quite probable that many who now bear the name had origin in these places, and may or may not have links, other than the 'kinship of a name', with the family who held Closeburn. This family gave rise to many cadet families in and around their home county. At the end of the 18th century William Kirkpatrick of Conheath became a wine merchant in Malaga and married Dona Francesca, daughter of Baron de Grivegnee, and their daughter Maria, was the mother of Marie Eugenie, wife of Emperor Napoleon.