|The Leiths once held vast
lands in Midlothian. William Leith of Barnis was Provost of Aberdeen in 1350, and his
descendants acquired and held at various times the lands of Edingarrock, Kirkton de Rain,
and New Leslie, on which Leith Hall was built. On the death of John Leith in 1778, Leslie
Hall and Leith Hall passed to his brother. General Alexander Leith (1758-1838) who, on his
succession to the estates of Andrew Hay of Rannes, adopted the name Leith-Hay.