The first mention found of
Lundie of Gorthie is with respect to a fatal blood feud between the Lundies
and the Murrays. Before 1600, David Lundie, a brother of Lundie of Gorthie,
slew a John Murray. Sir Andrew Murray of Balviard then in turn killed David
Lundie. The feud that then developed was twice submitted before King James
VI, in 1600 and 1602, for arbitration. The name of the laird of Gorthie is
not know, but shortly afterwards, on 5th May 1610 George Lundie
was served as heir to his father, George Lundie of Gorthie, in the lands and
Barony of Gorthy in the Sheriffdom of Perth. Nine years later, 27th
November 1619, George Lundyn was served as heir to his father, Robert Lundyn
in "annuo redditu 100m. de terries et Baronia de Gorthie". His father,
Robert Lundyn, is described as "filii quondam Georgii Lundyn de Gorthie".
Helen Lundie, spouse to
George Lundie, younger of Gorthie, Perth, died before 14th August
The origin of this branch of
the family is yet unknown.
The Mains of Gorthie were in
the Parish of Fowlis Wester, in Perth and Kinross. This building apparently
was also known as Newmills. It now no longer exists. The Account of the
RCAHMS of this building is as follows:-
The indicated location of the
building and associated enclosure that are named Newmill on the 1st edition
of the OS 6-inch map (Perthshire, sheet xcvi, 1867) lies within dense
forestry and could not be visited. Both the building and the enclosure were
apparently removed before 1901 when they were omitted from the 2nd edition
of the map (Perthshire, sheet xcvi.NE).
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, IF),
7 December 1995.
The lands of Gorthie were
initially held by Gorthie of that ilk. The lands of Gorthie were held by 1st
Lord Methven and later his son, Henry Stewart, 2nd Lord Methven,
certainly up to 1551. Charters were given to Lord Methven and Jonet Stewart
his wife, lands of Gorthy, June 5th, 1545, to him and his wife, of the
Lordship of Methven, February 18, 1547-48, and to him, Lady Janet Stewart
and Henry his son, of the same lordship and the lands of Gorthy, October 10,
1551. By 1728 they were held by Graham of Gorthie. It is not clear if this
is just the lands, or the Barony as well.