Check all the Clans that have DNA Projects. If your Clan is not in the list there's a way for it to be listed. Electric Scotland's Classified Directory An amazing collection of unique holiday cottages, castles and apartments, all over Scotland in truly amazing locations.

Clan Lundin / Lundie
Chapter Twelve – Lundie of Huttonspittle and of Spittle


This section describes two different Lundie estates of the same name. The name Spittle generally originates from lands belonging to a hospital, ‘spital lands’. Spittle lands have already been mentioned in the discussion of Lundin of that ilk, and Lundie of Berriehill. It is not an uncommon name for lands. There are two Lundie families designated as ‘of Spittle’

Lundie of Spittle, Fife.

Richard Lundie of Spittill, in the Parish of Markinch died before 10th March 1619
Robert Lundie of Spittell, in the Parish of Markinch died before 23rd October 1652.

Lundie of Spittle or Huttonspittle, Berwick

On 27th February 1656, the testament of Robert Lundie of Spitell is registered with Edinburgh Commissary Court.

On 17th August 1683, James Lundie of Huttonspittle was served as heir to his grandfather, Allan Lundie, minister apud. of Hutton, in the lands of Spitle in the Sheriffdom of Berwick.

On October 5th 1695, James Lundie of Huttonspittel was served heir to his father, James Lundie of Huttonspittle.

James Lundie of Hutton Spittle died before 31st July 1711, Lauder Commissary Court

James Lundie of Spittle, died before 15th May 1739, Lauder Commissary Court

Blake Stow Lundie, esquire of Spittal died before 26th November 1809

On 14th April 1871, the testament of the Rev. William Compton Lundie of Spittal, in the County of Berwick, Master of Arts, who died a Spitall House, is proved and registered with Duns Sheriff Court. He died 11th February 1871. He was minister of Carham in Northumberland.

The family of Lundie of Spital in Berwick, by the 19th century had at least twice ended the male line and had the estates pass through a female. The family, like many of the other Lundie families, still maintained the Lundie name.

In 1744, Williaw Stow of Spital, distant heir of a Lundie of Spital as his mother was a Selby, adopted the additional name of Lundie. The male line of the family Stow-Lundie of Spital ended with the Rev. William Stow Lundie of Spital, who died in 1837 without issue. The estate passed to the family of his sister, Mary who was married to the Rev. William Compton. Their son again took the name Lundie, being the Rev. William Compton-Lundie of Spitall.

Spittal House, Spittal mains, Hutton, Hutton mains and Hutton castle are all located a couple of miles due South East of Chirnside, Berwickshire.


Return to History Index