The name is first recorded
in 1309. John Tennant of Glenconner (1726-1810) was a friend of the poet Robert Burns
(1759-96). In 1885 Charles Tennant (1823-1906) was created a baronet. His oldest son, Sir
Edward Tennant (1859-1920), Lord Lieutenant of Peebles 1908-20, was made 1st Lord of
Glenconner in 1911.
In 1776 John and Robert
Tennent founded the famous public brewery which still bears their names.
TENNANT: The earliest reference to this name is William, tenant of Crestone in the county of Linlescu, in the Ragman Rolls of 1296. His seal bears the symbol of a large dog. In 1309 Thomas Tenaunt was one of the witnesses in the enquiry involving the Templars and in 1339 John Tenant is mentioned as being one of the garrison of Edinburgh Castle. John Tennand was among the burgesses of Stirling who attacked the cruives (fish-traps) and fishings of the abbot and convent of Cambuskenneth in 1366. Lord Glenconner derives from the family of Tennant of the "Glen" in Ayrshire. The Tennants are essentially a Lowland family who do not possess a chief, nor do they have a crest, motto, war cry or plant badge. No Arms have been recorded in the Court of the Lord Lyon in Edinburgh. There is however a Tennant tartan which appears to have been designed by the father of Captain Ian Tennant, Innes House, Elgin, around 1930 which is believed to have been adapted from the Hunting MacDuff. There are no objections to anyone bearing the name Tennant or Tenant wearing this tartan.
Professor Tennant, of St.