|There are a million and one things to do when arranging a
marriage. But don't try to do everything yourself. Share out the tasks among
your family and friends. Our wedding checklist is a starting point for you to plan
your wedding, although different couples will have their own priorities. But the key
is to put the task on the list - and then make sure it is carried out.|
Two years to six months before...
- Choose the date, place and time. Arrange the wedding
with the clergyman/registrar
- Book the Hotel and arrange to see the manager to discuss
budget and type of wedding.
- Choose your best man and bridesmaid, page boys and attendants.
- Select your wedding cake, photographer, video cameraman,
wedding cars and florist.
- Choose the wedding rings. Buy them now to allow for any
alterations or engravings.
- Book the honeymoon.
- Order your wedding stationery.
Ten to eight weeks before...
- Discuss the Order of Service with the minister and order
- Post wedding invitations at least two months before and keep a
record of who has accepted.
- Make an appointment to see your doctor and dentist for
- Find out about inoculations you may need if you are going on
- If you want to change the name on your passport for your
honeymoon, make sure you have sent it away in plenty of time.
- Organise your going-away outfit.
- Arrange to hire groom's outfit.
- Make wedding present list.
- Send thank you letters for the presents immediately they
- Order flowers for the wedding party.
- Check that the hotel for the wedding night is booked.
Six weeks before...
- Supply the florist with details of the colour scheme of the
wedding and agree on the choice of flowers. Order buttonholes for the mother of the bride,
and the mother of the groom after checking what they will be wearing.
- Choose and order the presents for the bridesmaids, other
attendants and the best man.
- Check with the registrar about the marriage schedule.
Four weeks before...
- Have final fitting for wedding dress.
- Visit hairdressers and plan your hairstyle for the wedding.
- Practise wedding make-up if it will give you extra confidence.
- See clergyman and agree a date for the rehearsal.
- Arrange for the marriage schedule to be completed and returned
at least 15 days before the wedding.
Two weeks to go...
- Inform the hotel of the final number of guests at least 14
- Check if there are any other big events taking place in the
area to allow for extra time for the journey to the church.
- Make a final check on the wedding photographer, the cake, cars
- Try on your honeymoon clothes.
- Check overseas travel documents, travellers' cheques,
international driving licence, if necessary.
One week to go...
- Wrap gifts for attendants.
- Remind groom to place correct fees for the minister, organist,
choir in cash in marked envelopes and give these to the best man.
- Pack honeymoon clothes and check honeymoon arrangements.
- Ensure that the bride's mother or some other appropriate
person is responsible for taking home the bride's dress and accessories after the wedding.
The best man should take charge of the groom's clothes and, if they are hired,
- Arrange for your wedding notice to appear in the local press.
The day before...
- Arrange for your luggage to be taken to reception venue.
- Have manicure, wash hair and have an early night.
On the day...
- Sleep as late as you can without missing the ceremony.
Have a leisurely bath and a good breakfast.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to get dressed, and in the
bride's case extra time to do your hair and make-up.