Search just our sites by using our customised search engine

Unique Cottages | Electric Scotland's Classified Directory

Click here to get a Printer Friendly PageSmiley

The Ellen Payne Odom Genealogy Library Family Tree
Clan Boyd Society, International Newsletter January 2004

Published by Richard G. and Jerri Lynn Boyd

VOLUME 17 ISSUE 62             JAN/ 2004   LIBRARY OF CONGRESS ISSN 1087- 223X

This issue dedicated to Henry F. Boyd, Port Orange, Florida.  Henry joined the original House of Boyd Society in 1990, becoming member #190.  Henry was quick to become involved with the society.  He was nominated and elected as Membership Secretary soon after becoming a member. Henry is responsible for the growth the society realized in the 1990s when we had a membership approaching 500 in number.  Henry is also an accomplished piper and is seen at most of the games in the Southeast; Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas, etc., and on many occasions, in other areas at Scottish Highland Games.  I  get asked    about “Piper Henry”…you know… that tall, gallant looking piper who plays at all the games" by  members. Henry is a descendant of John and Mary Fulton Boyd of Pennsylvania.

Photo: Henry F. Boyd, Honorary Member and Clan Piper with Jerri Lynn Boyd NC. at ‘94 Grandfather Mountain Games, Linnville, NC.


As a small child, I well remember, that each summer the entire family would go to a large picnic attended by MacClellands, Boyds, Robertsons, MacEntires, Pattersons, Craigs, McClures, Kirks and on and on.  It was obviously not known as such but without a doubt it was a clan gathering.  At about age eight, on hearing bagpipes, I told my parents that I wanted to learn the bagpipes.  By age twelve I had saved enough money so that I sent off to Hugh MacPherson in St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada for a practice chanter and a tutor book.  I quickly learned that to be self taught at that age was nearly impossible.

A few years later, with time in the U.S. Navy during WW-2, followed by Electrical Engineering with four years at Penn State, I ended up in Philadelphia to be taught piping by the Ulster Scottish Pipe Band.

I have now consumed 47 years in teaching students (many) and playing pipes at hundreds of events, concerts, parades, weddings, funerals, parties and Games for lots of great enjoyment.

I assume that I will spend the next 25 years happily piping at many more Games and parties.  On the net I am known as the “CeilidhPiper”.  Henry F. Boyd, P.O. Box 290604, Port Orange, FL 32129-0604 Phone 386-295-9859.

Henry Foland Boyd’s family line goes like this:
John Boyd  1734/1740-1817  +  Mary Fulton N. Ireland             
Joseph Boyd 1793-1847  +  Jane Glass                
Thomas G. Boyd  1821-1887  +  Jane Jeffery     
Thomas H. Boyd  1855-1931  +  Mary Foland  
Estes J. Boyd  1885-1961  +  Mary Marquis       
Henry Foland Boyd  1927 

More about Henry's lineage can be seen on this page:


Robert Frizzell was born in May of 1821 in N. Ireland and died 9 January 1906 in Croswell, Michigan.  He married Elizabeth BOYD born 3 November 1822 in N. Ireland. She died 9 November 1889 in Croswell.

Robert immigrated to Canada in 1829.  He bought forty acres on 3 April 1855 in Lexington Township, section 24, township 10, range 24.  He paid cash for the land.  When Robert and Elizabeth  moved to Sanilac County, Michigan, USA in 1855 they had three children; John Frizzell, Henry Frizzell, and Alexander Frizzell.  Children born in Lexington; Elizabeth Frizzell, James Frizzell, Thomas Frizzell, George Frizzell, and Albert (Alba) Frizzell.  Robert was a farmer. He was a member of the Christ Episcopal Church in Croswell. Elizabeth was a member of the United Presbyterian Church.

James Frizzell born 1859 and died 29 Oct 1919, married Fanny Hook who was born 25 Aug 1872 in England. She died in 1954. James was born in a log cabin in Lexington Township. He was a farmer and lived all his life in the Lexington/Croswell area.  He had seven children: Clara Frizzell, Florence Frizzell, Jenny Frizzell, Frank Frizzell, Clarence Frizzell, Louis Frizzell, and Russel Frizzell. 

Frank Frizzell was born in November of 1902 and died in December195?  He married Nora Cornwell who was born 30 June 1904 and died 3 July 1965.  Frank was born on his grandfather's farm in Lexington Township.  Later, when Frank was two, his family moved to a farm on Aitken road in Buel Township.  Frank lived on this farm until he was grown.  When he was twenty, he moved to Port Huron, Michigan and lived there until his death.  He had three children; Roger Frederick Frizzell born 1924 in Watertown Township, and two daughters born in St. Clair County, Michigan.  Roger Frizzell nows resides in Riverside, California. Noreen Frizzell Clark History of Sanilac County, Michigan 1834-1984

Flowers of the Forest

BOYD, Joseph Burl - Of Swartz Creek, Michigan, age 87, died Monday, September 1, 2003 at Genesys Health Park. Funeral service will be held at 1PM Thursday, September 4, 2003 at the Swartz Funeral Home, 1225 West Hill Road, Pastor Steven Wood and Pastor Jeff Roth officiating. Burial in Crestwood Cemetery.  Visitation 6- 8PM Tuesday and 2-4 and 6-8PM Wednesday at the funeral home. Mr. Boyd was born in Paragould, Arkansas on June 22, 1916. He married Anna Scobey on November 30, 1935. He was a member of Faith United General Baptist Church. He was a Deacon at the former West Flint General Baptist Church since 1973. Mr. Boyd worked at Fisher Body II for 12 years, retiring in 1962. Surviving are wife, Anna; 2 daughters, Kay Jordan of Flint and Rita Ignace of Flushing; 7 grandchildren, Sherry and husband Greg Putney, Sue and husband Gary Baade, Kim Brohn, all of Flint, Jennifer and husband Jeff Roth of Mt. Morris, Beth and husband Scott James of Flushing, Stillman and wife Susi Jordan of Texas, Michael and wife Kelly Ignace of Beulah, Michigan; 21 great-grand children; 7 great-great- grandchildren; several nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents, sisters, Ethel, Selma, Jessie, Clarice and Evelyn; brother, Paul.

Boyd Association Publications (1892)
John and Mary Fulton Boyd line

1. The Family Record.  Printed on a large card suitable for framing. Containing all the names of the first, second, third and fourth generations of the Boyd kin.  Price $2.50

2. Proceedings of Beaver Reunion in 1881.  Contains valuable information regarding the initial Reunion and how it was brought about, and all the addresses and poems delivered there, with other matters of interest.    Price, 15 cents per copy.

3. Proceedings of the Lima Reunion in 1883 (2nd).  A 48-page pamphlet. Contains the first written Constitution of the Association, with a full report of the 2nd gathering of the Boyds. 20 cents.

4. Proceedings of the Kiskminister Reunion in 1884 (3rd).  36 pages, and contains important Biographical sketches.  Price, 20 cents.

5. Proceedings of the Hamilton Reunion in 1886 (4th).  32 pages of interesting history.  Price, 20 cents.

6. Proceedings of the Pittsburg Reunion in 1888(5th).  60 pages, with full report of the largest gathering, addresses and sketches, with reports.  Price, 25 cents.

7. Proceedings of the Marion Reunion in 1890 (6th).  Contains report of Committee on Incorporation, with proposed Constitution, addresses and sketch of M. Hillis Boyd.  Price, 25 cents.

8. Proceedings of the Pittsburgh Reunion in 1892 (7th). President’s Address, Rev T.S. Negley, Obituaries, Constitution of Boyd Association, adopted at Pittsburgh, 1892, list of attendees.

Note: These publications are rare and hard to find.  I would appreciate copies for publication in this newsletter.  Richard G. Boyd, 568 W. Friedrich St., Rogers City, Michigan 49779


Robert M. and Rebecca Woodhull Boyd

Robert M. Boyd was a native of Lancaster County, Pa., born in 1772, and was a blacksmith.  He came to Bath in 1799 by way of the Susquehanna, Chemung, and Cohocton rivers, bringing his kit of tools with him.  He worked at Geneva one year and then moved to Hopeton, where he married Rebecca, daughter of Tompkins Woodhull, one of the earliest settlers of East Benton.  She was born in 1783 and they were married in 1804.  They lived in Hopeton till 1824.  Both their house and shop were on the north-east corner, at the road crossing in Hopeton.  The school house remembered by the sons of Robert M. Boyd, was on the south-east corner of the Public Square and was a log house.  John L. Lewis, the old school teacher, lived on the north-east corner.  Mr. Boyd pursued his trade at Hopeton, except during two years he lived in Newark, NY., where he sharpened tools at his forge for the workmen on the Erie Canal then in progress of construction.  He owned 12 acres of land at Hopeton, and 75 acres where Anthony Ryal now lives, about a mile west of Hopeton.  In 1824 they moved to Jerusalem, near the present residence of Ezekiel Clark, on lot 54 of the first seventh.  Robert M. Boyd died on this place in 1839 at the age of sixty-seven.  His wife survived dying at the age of seventy-one.  She resided with her son Tompkins W., in her later years.  Their children were Alexander M. Boyd, Tompkins W. Boyd, Margaret Boyd, Robert McDowell Boyd, Martha R. Boyd, Arabella R. M. Boyd,  and Mary E. Boyd.  Alexander M. Boyd born in 1806, married Rachel Fitzwater daughter of Samuel Fitzwater, of Jerusalem in 1836.  They resided in Penn Yan till 1850, when they moved to Livingston County, Mich.  Their children were Margaret and Stewart. 

Tompkins W. Boyd born in 1807, married Rebecca VanScoy, daughter of Timothy VanScoy, in 1835.  He had early bought 25 acres of land in Jerusalem of Daniel Husted.  They resided in Penn Yan at first and in 1839 moved to Harmonyville, in Pultney, where he kept a public house twenty years and was a prominent and influential citizen.  His wife died there in 1866.  Their children are Elizabeth Boyd, Robert Boyd, Elmira Boyd, Theodore P. Boyd, Timothy Boyd, George B. Boyd and Harrison Boyd.

Elizabeth Boyd is the wife of James Taylor, a lawyer in Branchport.  Robert Boyd married Kitty Branchport, daughter of Spencer S. Booth, of Branchport, and resides a merchant at East Saginaw, Mich.  The others are single. 

Margaret Boyd died single at the age of twenty-three, in 1832. Martha R.. Boyd, born in 1816, became the second wife of Louis V. Durand, a native of France and a physician of ability at Rochester.  They were married in 1834.  He died in 1857 and she still resides in Rochester.  Their children were Adolphus Durand, George Durand and Robert Durand.  Adolphus Durand died a soldier in the army during the war of the rebellion.  George is married and resides in Buffalo.

Robert McDowell Boyd, born in 1814, married Mary H. Luther, daughter of Elisha Luther, in 1840, and reside on the Friend’s Tract, lot 44, Guernsey’s Survey, in Jerusalem, on land once owned by the Luther family, and is a farmer.  His wife died in 1866, at the age of forty-five.  Their children are Sidney Boyd, Barrett A. Boyd, Martha Boyd, Tompkins W. Boyd, Charles Boyd, Albert Boyd, Ellen M. Boyd, and Fred Boyd.  Sidney married John Waterous, jr., of Pultney, and died in that town in 1866.  Barrett A. married Jane Briggs, daughter of Joseph Briggs, of Potter, and lives in that town.  The rest reside with the father, single.

Arabella R. M. Boyd, born in 1819, married Thomas B. V. Durand, a son of Louis V. Durand, by his first marriage.  They were married in 1839.  He is a superior physician, and they reside at Fairport, Monroe County, NY.  Their children are Susan Ann, Louis, and Rebecca.

Mary Elizabeth Boyd, born in 1825, married Levi Dildine, of Pultney, and moved to Wayland NY., where he died in 1854 leaving three children.  She afterwords married Sampson Dildine, brother of her first husband, and died in 1864, leaving a son Frederick, by the second marriage.

Robert M. Boyd was in the war of 1812, going as a minute man to Buffalo.  He was also drafted and hired a substitute.  [The History of Yates County” (NY) Stafford S. Cleveland, 1873]

Contributed by Terry Murphy:

                     William Park and Frances Agnes Boyd 

William Park Revolutionary War Veteran, born 17 March 1742, West Fallowfield, Chester, PA,  s/o John Park Sr. and Elizabeth McKnight  he was the 4th son. I have no marriage date or place. He died 28 July 1806 at daughter's home in Carroll, York, PA.  Buried at Silver Spring Cemetery ( this is from another DAR member's application sheet.  Doesn't say which Silver Spring Cemetery and I haven't found it yet) He married Frances/Agnes Boyd  (The DAR Rev Records state the name is Frances and there are descendants with the same name).  Frances was born 1743  ? and died 30 Sept 1804,  probably in Dillsbury, York, PA as they had been living there around that time and she is also buried Silver Spring Cemetery according to the DAR application. William and Frances' children:  Four little boys who all died about the same time, do not know where they are buried. (again DAR application);  Elizabeth Boyd born 28 April 1772? and married Joseph Moore, on 21 Apr 1788. She died 06 Mar 1857; Mary born 08 Apr 178? and married Philip Ensminger on 20 Oct 1804. She died 08 Apr 1861;  Elihu born 08 Aug 1786 on  Yellowbreeches Creek near Silver Spring, York,  PA married Elspy Laman/Lamon/Lemon.  He died 07 Apr 1832 at Monaghan, York, PA and buried Monaghan Church Cemetery Dillsbury, York, PA;  Frances (note the name ) born 17 Aug 1789? married William Nelson (Col) in 1809;  Joseph born 05 Jul 1792? married Elizabeth Nelson.  Proofs:  York Will for William history of Arthur Parke (grand rather or William)  Tax list Carroll Two Deeds DAR Ben Hugh Mercer Chapter patriots register  Park Society records

It's interesting that Arthur Parke, the grandfather, was instrumental in bringing Rev Boyd into Chester County, PA and that the two families lives close to each other and were friends.  But I haven't found one of Rev. Boyd's descendants with the name Frances or a marriage to a Park. Newspaper records of William and Frances' grandchildren indicate that William and Frances spent some time in Lancaster Co. and that at least Elihu was born there.  Emalu Dunlop Hart, 156 East 2nd south, Preston, Idaho 83263

***Do you have old Boyd obits or articles?***
Please send them in for publication!

Vital Records, Tennessee, 1750-1890

Copied from the family Bible of Mrs. T. A. Boyd (Martha  Shook Wilson), Route 3, Box 157, Nashville, Tenn., by (Miss) Mary  Elizabeth White, 2106 Twenty-first Ave., South, Nashville, Tenn.  This Bible was printed in 1730.


John Boyd, July 1, 1769.
Rebecca Boyd, Jan. 1, 1772.
Aaron Boyd, Dec. 29, 1794.
Nancy Boyd, March 27, 1797.
Elizabeth Boyd, April 28, 1799.
David R. Boyd, March 30, 1802.
Mary Boyd, Sept. 10, 1805.
Sarah Boyd, May 24, 1807.
Joseph B. Boyd, May 5, 1810.
Mariam Boyd, April 11, 1813.
Tom Aaron Marble Boyd, July 25, 1844.
William W. Boyd, Feb. 8, 1868.
Anna Lizzie Boyd, Jan. 14, 1869.
Sallie Malisa Boyd, Aug. 4, 1871.
Joseph Shook Boyd, Nov. 21, 1873.
John Marble Boyd, Sept. 16, 1876.
Nannie Blans Boyd, Nov. 24, 1879.
Thos. Albert Boyd, Nov. 16, 1881.
Earnest Lee Boyd, June 23, 1883.
Ada Sue Boyd, Jan. 16, 1886. 


John Dixon and Elizabeth Boyd, married July 7, 1816.
Aaron Boyd and Mary Britton, married July 10, 1817.
Asa Tillman and Mary Boyd, married Sept. 14, 1824.
David R. Boyd and Trecy Coleman, married Sept. 22, 1824.
Joseph B. Boyd and Susan Camden, married July 19, 1831.
Elisha A. Patton and Sarah Boyd, married March 27, 1832.
Henry Bibb and Nancy Boyd, married Feb. 17, 1820.
John H. Robinson and Mariam Boyd, married Nov. 1, 1837.
Aaron Boyd and Sarah Edmiston, married Nov. 16, 1848.


John Boyd, May 12, 1831.
David R. Boyd, Aug. 17, 1835.
May M. Boyd, Sept. 8, 1837.
Rebecca Boyd, Feb. 5, 1854.


                   Origins of the Boyds  (cont. from October/2003)
                         From "Peerage of Scotland" Sir James Balfour Paul

William, tenth Lord Boyd, only son and heir of the above, whom  he  succeeded March 1654, being served heir 28 February 1655.  On the 7 March 1661 he was, by King Charles II., created EARL OF KILMARNOCK,  with remainder to his heir-males forever.  A  Commissioner  of Excise for Ayrshire for raising the  40,000 pounds granted to his Majesty March 1661.  J.P. for Lanark  and  Ayr 9 October 1663, and a Commissioner of Supply  for  Ayr  23 January 1667,  10 July 1678,  and 7 June 1690, and for Dunbarton 10 July 1678. On 6 July 1670 he disposed  of  the  lands of Hairschaw to John Boyd, merchant, Dean of  Guild  of Edinburgh, and had a disposition of the forty-shilling land of old extant  of  the  Kirkland   of Kilmarnock,  with  the  glebe  thereof, from John Hamilton of Grange, 22 June 1677. Master of the King's Game for Ayr 30 May 1685. He had, a new charter on the barony of Kilmarnock confirming that granted to his father.  He did not  attend  the Convention Parliament of 1689, being excused attendence  9 July.  He  died  in  March 1692. He married at Edinburgh,  25 April 1661,  Jean,  eldest daughter of William (Cunningham),  ninth Earl of Glencairn, Lord High Chancellor, at whose house "the marriage feest stood". They had issue:

1. WILLIAM, Lord Boyd, who succeeded as 2nd Earl.

2. JAMES, a Captain in Sir Charles Graham's Regiment of Foot in the Scots Dutch Brigade in 1692.  See "Papers Illustrating  The History of The Scots Brigade in the service of  the  United Netherlands,  1572-1782,  published  by   the  Scottish History Society, 3 Volumes, 1899, 1900, 1901, edited by James Ferguson.  

3. CHARLES, appointed ensign in Sir Charles Graham's Regiment of Foot in the Scots Dutch Brigade 1 August 1693, and captain in the same regiment, then  commanded  by  Colonel Walter Phillip Colyear, 12 January 1711.  He died at Namur October 1737.  He married Katherine Van Beest, and had a son Malcolm, ensign in the Army, who married Mary Collins. (Slains Writs)

4. ROBERT.  He is claimed as an ancestor by several families, but nothing appears to be known about him.  According to one account he was born at Kilmarnock August 1689, baptised there 24 October following,  and died November 1762, having married there,  25 October 1714,  Margaret Thomson,  by  whom  he had eleven  children,  one  of  whom, the fourth son, William, is said  to  have gone to Buchan with James, Lord Boyd, after he

succeeded  (1758) to the Earldom of Erroll, and to  have settled as a manufacturer in

Turriff, Aberdeenshire. This latter statement  is borne out by the registers, as his fourth child Erroll,  is baptised at Kilmarnock 15 September 1761, and the fifth,  Janet,  at  Turriff  3 June 1763. The Kilmarnock registers,  however, contain no entry of the birth or baptism of a  Robert Boyd in 1689, and the Robert who married in 1714 is described  as a  "glover in Kilmarnock",  and no reference is made to his being an Honourable or son of the Earl.


6. MARY, said to have been married to Sir Alexander Maclean.  

CATHERINE,  married  to Alexander Porterfield of Porterfield, co.  Renfrew, a commissioner for Renfrew, by whom she had issue.  He died  before 14 November 1743, when his testament was confirmed at Glasgow.

William, 2nd  Earl of Kilmarnock,  was  born  probably about 1663-64,  Styled Lord Boyd  during  his father's lifetime,  a  Commissioner  of  Supply  for the shires of Ayr and

Dumbarton 13 May 1685, 28 May 1686, 27 April 1689,  and 7 June 1690.  He succeeded his father, March 1692, but only survived  him  two months, dying 20 May following, aged about twenty-nine.  He  married, July 1682,  Letitia  or Lettice, younger  daughter,  and   (either herself or in her issue) eventually  sole  heiress of Thomas Boyd of Dublin, merchant, by his wife Mary, fourth daughter of Sir Adam Loftus of Rathfarnham.  She  married,  secondly, John Gardiner, by whom she had an only daughter, Charlotte. They had issue:

1. WILLIAM Lord Boyd, 3rd Earl of Kilmarnock.

2. ROBERT, born in Edinburgh 13 September 1689; admitted on January 1711; married Eleanora, daughter &  co-heir of Sir Thomas Nicolson  of Carnock,  second  Baronet, and   died February 1716, leaving issue: 1. Margaret, who died, unmarried, in Edinburgh, 7 May 1781.  3. MARY, died unmarried.

William 3rd Earl of Kilmarnock,  eldest  son and heir of the last, was born in 1683 or 1684, succeeded his father 25 May 1692, and  served  heir  to him 20 July 1699. A

Commissioner of Supply for Dumphries 25 September 1696, and to Ayr  5 August 1704. He had a ratification of his privilege of  market  at Kilmarnock, with leave to exact a duty of four shillings  per sack of meal or grain brought to Kilmarnock in return  for  having built a market there, 1701. He took the oaths  and  his  seat  in Parliament 6 July 1705, and was a steady  supporter  of  the  Union  with England, for which he voted 16 January 1707.  He had, 22 January following, a new charter  under  the Great Seal of the Earldom, with remainder to the heir-males of his body, whom failing, to his daughters in  succession,  and heirs-male of their bodies, etc., with a final remainder to his nearest legitimate heirs and assignees whatsoever. This was ratified by Parliament 21 March the same year. When the rising of 1715 in favour of King James VIII took place,  he,  forsaking the traditions of his house, exhibited great zeal  on behalf of the existing government, and appeared at the general rendezvous at Irvine 22 August at the head  of  500 of his own men, well armed and drilled. With these he was sent  by  the  Duke of Argyll to garrison the houses  of  Gartartan,  Drummakill, and Cardross, in order to prevent  Lord Mar's crossing the forth, which having affected 3 October,  he returned to Glasgow, 21 November, when his men were dismissed. He died September, or 22 November, 13 1717, aged  about thirty-four. His will was confirmed at Glasgow 13 March 1718.  He married, about 1700, Euphemia, daughter of William (Ross), Lord Ross. She married, secondly, John Murry, who survived her, and died s.p. October 1748. She died before 19 July 1729, when her administration was granted. He had issue and only son, Murry, who survived her, and died s.p. October 1748. She died before 19 July 1729, when her administration was granted. He had issue and only son,

William Boyd, 4th Earl of Kilmarnock, only son of the preceding, was born on Saturday 12 May 1705,  "about eleven of the  clock  at  night,"  and  was  baptized  at Kilmarnock on

Thursday, 24 May  following,  was educated at Glasgow,  and accompanied  his  father  though but ten years of age when he marched to oppose Lord Mar in 1715.

He succeeded to the Earldom  in  the  latter part of 1717, and during the earlier part  of  his life continued, in accordance with his father's principles,  to support the House of Hanover. On the death of George I,  12 June 1727,  he sent an order to the authorities of  Kilmarnock  to  hold  "the  train  bands in readiness for proclaiming  the  Prince  of Wales"  but  after the Battle of Gladsmuir,  21 September 1745,  he  joined Prince Charles, by whom  he  was  received  with  great marks of distinction and esteem. He was made a Privy Councillor, Colonel of the Guards and  subsequently a General. He accompanied the Prince in his march  to  Derby,  and  took  a leading part in the battle of Falkirk,  17 January 1746.  He  was  present at the battle of Culloden, 16 April, being taken prisoner there in consequence of a  mistake he made in supposing a troop of English to be a body of  FitzJames's horse.He was sent to London, and with Lords  Cromartie and  Balmerino was lodged in the Tower, They were  brought  for trial before the House of Lords on Monday, 28 July.  The  court  was presided over by Lord Hardwicke as Lord  High  Steward,  whose  conduct  on  that  occasion  was strangely  wanting  in judicial impartiality. Kilmarnock and Cromartie  both  pleaded guilty,  but notwithstanding an eloquent speech from the former they were, on the 1 August, convicted of high treason and condemned to death.  The Lord Leicester,  remembering  that  the ministry had lately given the paymastership of the army to Pitt, out of fear of his abusive  eloquence,  is stated to have  gone  up  to  the  Duke of Newcastle, and said "I never heard  so  great an orator as Lord Kilmarnock. If I were your Grace, I would pardon him and make him your paymaster." The reasons  which  induced  Lord  Kilmarnock to take part in the attempted  restoration  of the House of Stuart are not known. By  some  it was said to have been the influence of his wife, whose father,  the Earl of Linlithgow and Callender, had been attainted  for his share in the "15," but this was strenuously denied  by the Earl himself. Smollett says he "engaged in the rebellion  partly  through  the  desperate  situation  of his fortune  and partly  through  resentment to the Government on his  being  deprived  of a pension which he had for some time enjoyed."  This opinion is  supported by  Horace Walpole, who states  that  the  pension  was  obtained  by his father (Sir Robert Walpole),  and stopped by Lord Wilmington.  In his own confession  to  Mr. James Foster, a Presbyterian minister who attended  him  before  his  execution, his Lordship says "the true  root  of  all  was  his careless and dissolute life, by which  he  had  reduced  himself to great and perplexing difficulties."  On the other hand all Lady Kilmarnock's sympathies were undoubtedly with the exiled family, and the mere fact  of  his  having married her, a Catholic, and heiress of one  who  had  suffered  for  his  attachment to the Stuarts, speaks  for itself.  Charles slept at Callender House on the night  of  Saturday, 14 September, on his march to Edinburgh, and  though Kilmarnock made a point of dining with Gardiner's Dragoons, he hurried back in time to sup with the Prince, and it  was  probably then that he determined to throw in his lot with the heir of his native hereditary sovereigns. 

After his conviction he addressed petitions to King George,  the Prince of  Wales,  and  the  Duke  of  Cumberland,  but  these  were unsuccessful, principally on account of the Duke of Cumberland professing  to believe  that he was responsible for the order alleged  to  have  been  given before the battle of Culloden, that  no  quarter  was  to  be  given  to the English. He was beheaded on  Tower Hill  in  company  with  Lord Balmerino on Monday, 18 August, in his forty-first year, when, having been attainted, all honours were forfeited.

                                                                                                           (Final part in next issue)

From 6th Annual Boyd/Fulton Reunion Booklet Marion, Ohio

Bennie Boyd

Died January 16th, 1889, Bennie, aged 24 days, beloved son of Wm. S. and Julia Boyd, at their home in Baldwin City, Kansas.

Ellen Boyd

Died March 17th, 1889, near Rochester, Indiana, Ellen, beloved wife of Henry E. Boyd.  The circumstances surrounding this death were peculiarly trying.  They had sold their farm and her husband had gone to Washington to seek a home, to which he expected to remove his family as soon as practicable.  A fortnight after his departure she was taken violently ill with typhoid pneumonia and died within a week.  Four little children, the elder, Nellie, aged twelve; the younger, Maggie Beer, a sweet child of three, were left desolate indeed.  Her husband returned and marked her lonely grave by a simple stone and took the little ones, motherless, to the far western home.  She was a fond and tender wife and mother.

Ann Lazarus Boyd

Ann Lazarus Boyd was born in Deerfield, Portage Co., Ohio, January 26, 1811.  Her grandfather, John Hartzell, was instrumental in building up the Presbyterian church at Deerfield.  He was inspired by a sermon preached in the neighborhood by Rev. James Boyd, of sainted memory.  She united with this church in her youth.  March 16th, 1837, she married to John Boyd.  The early years of their married life were spent on a farm near Deerfield and their four children were born there.  In 1854 she, with her family, removed to Allen county and settled upon a farm four miles from Lima, Ohio where the remainder of her life was spent.  She was one of the mothers whose heart-breaking privilege it was to give up the son---the only one---to her country.  He enlisted in the 99th O.V.I. in 1862 and only served a few weeks ere his body was brought home and laid to rest in our peaceful “grave yard.” Two daughters preceded her to the “home over there” in quick succession, while she herself was an invalid and patiently awaiting the final summons, which came January 18th, 1889.  She was patient and cheerful and bore the many afflictions with Christian resignation and passed away peacefully one week before her 79th birthday. 

Mary (Boyd) Wilson

Died At Palmyra, Ohio August 29th, 1889, Mrs. Mary Wilson, aged 75 years, 5 months and 9 days.  Mary was the only daughter of Henry and Margaret Beer Boyd, and was born in Ellsworth, Ohio, March 20, 1814.  Her parents had been in Ohio about two years.  Three brothers older and one younger than herself constituted the family.  The mother being a delicate woman, the labors and cares incident to pioneer life were laid upon her in her early years.  In 1833 the family removed to the adjoining township, Berlin, Mahoning county, and settled on the farm on which she spent the greater portion of her life, within the bounds of what was then called Deerfield, but now North Benton, Presbyterian Church. She was married October 22, 1840, to Joseph Wilson of Salem, Ohio.  She united with the church in early life and ever adorned her profession.  She was the worthy daughter of her godly parents.  After nearly twenty years of widowhood she was suddenly called to go up higher on the early morning of August 29th, 1889.

Mary (Boyd) Black

Died April 16th, 1889 in Shawnee, at the old Boyd homestead, Mary, beloved wife of J.W. Black and youngest daughter of Abram and Maria Hover Boyd.  Mary was born May 18, 1849 near the same spot where her life went out almost 40 years later.  Here her childhood was passed and her she was married Sept 14, 1871.  Most of her married life was spent in Lima until failing health in both husband and wife caused them to feel that a change was desirable.

They went first to Colorado and then to Rochester, Indiana where they lived four years, forming many pleasant friendships and associations.  But disease had an unyielding hold upon her and as the end drew near, her heart yearned for the old father, old home and old friends.  Arrangements were accordingly made and time set for returning home, but there was still a work for them to do in Indiana.  Her brother’s wife sickened and in one short week died, leaving four small children to look to Mr. And Mrs. Black for home and care, their father being absent in the far West.  But the cares of life, the sore need of motherless children could no longer detain her.  She felt that she was sinking fast and with unwavering desire to die at home she made the weary journey eight days before she died.  To her it was a great pleasure to meet the many friends who called to see her.  She could not talk much, but for all she had a pleasant smile.  Loving hands and sad hearts ministered to her few earthly needs and went with her to the very verge of the valley of the shadow of death.  She was not loathe to go, having been a member of a church militant, she felt confident of an abundant entrance into the church triumphant.  A great sufferer for many years she was willing, nay impatient to go home to the father.  She said: “Time’s up, let me rest a little and I will go on,” and so painfully and consciously she closed her eyes in the sleep that knows no waking upon the shores of time, and her tired, troubled heart was at rest.  An aged father and a brother and  sister remained to mourn with the sorely bereaved husband and three sons the severing of one more earthly life.

Lewis Edwin Walling

Lewis Edwin Walling was born near Mt. Carmel, Indiana September 23, 1850 and departed this life June 24, 1889, aged 38 years, 9 months, and 1 day.  He was the son of Louis and Eliza Boyd Walling and a grandson of Rev. John Boyd.  He was left at the age of sixteen without a mother’s care and went out to battle with life, determined to honor her memory by his worthy efforts.  How successful he was, his many friends can testify. He was of a very amiable disposition and none knew him but to love him.  In 1881 he went to California.  In 1882 he was married in San Francisco to Miss Etta Rafferty.  The lived near Inglenook, California and it was on the morning of June 24th that he, in company with his brother-in-law, went to the mountain to haul, their team became frightened and he was thrown from the wagon and fatally injured.  In a few hours he quietly passed over the boundary line between this life and the resting place of God’s children, with the dying words:  “I am not afraid to die.” 

**Please send your queries for 2004**

From 7th Annual Boyd/Fulton Reunion Booklet, Pittsburgh, PA.

John Boyd

 “Uncle John” Boyd passed from labor to rest March 21st 1892, aged 84 years, 4 months,  17 days.  He was the dearest old man—so gentle, kind, and affectionate, a living example of “growing old gracefully.”  One could associate naught but pure and unselfish thoughts and deeds with the fresh, kindly countenance in its setting of abundant white hair and beard. John Boyd was the second son of Henry and Margaret Beer Boyd, born 4 November 1807 in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania within the bounds of “Bull Creek” congregation.  His parents moved to Trumbull County, Ohio in 1812.  He united with the Presbyterian Church in 1833 and continued faithful until death.  He was twice married, and was the father of six children.  At his death only one of his family remained, Mrs. Maria Wolf, the others having all preceded him to the spirit world.  He came to Allen County, Ohio in 1854 and settled upon the farm where he continued to live until he died.  I have many recollections of that home, Uncle John, Aunt Anna, Frederick, Susan, Maria and Christina—it was a privilege often experienced to join them in their joys and sorrows, their toil and recreation.  But they have passed out of our lives, leaving a precious memory.  Uncle John was a man of sterling integrity, a kind and loving father, a  true and faithful husband, and a good and obliging neighbor. 

James H. Boyd

James H. Boyd was born in Mahoning County, Ohio March 15, 1847 and died in Baldwin, Kansas November 6, 1891.  He came to Lawrence in 1868, where he remained until 1885 when he became a resident of Baldwin.  He leaves a wife and three children to mourn his departure.  Mr. Boyd had been a sufferer for the past year with the dreaded disease, consumption, but never once was he heard to complain.   James was the second son of Henry Fulton Boyd and Mary P. Henry, and grandson of Henry and Margaret Beer Boyd.  His mother died when he was a lad of 12 years old.  Below is written by his wife Anna. “ We have three bright and beautiful children; Jammie,   Fred and Edna. Jammie is so much company for me now.  James was taken sick in March, 1891.

                                         Margaret Boyd Davison 

Died at her home in Seneca, Illinois 14th April 1891 after an illness of only 3 hours. She was the oldest daughter of James and Mary Doud Boyd, and granddaughter of Henry and Margaret Beer Boyd.  She was born in Mahoning County, Ohio August 13th, 1837, removed with her father’s family to Allen County in 1854; married George L. Davison September 20th, 1858.  Six children were born to this union, all of whom are living.  Her husband wrote me: “One of the greatest consolations to me is that she was permitted to see our children all grown to manhood and womanhood, and that she has left so much of the impress of her character upon them all. 

Walter Skelton Boyd

The subject of this notice was the eldest son of William Morrison and Hannah McFarland Boyd and was born in Kitanning, Armstrong County, Pennsylvania, October 25th, 1864.  His parents shortly afterward returning to their former home in the vicinity of old Slate Lick, where so many of his kindred of four or five generations had their homes.  He spent the earliest years of his life in that quiet, thrifty, God-fearing community, enjoying excellent local advantages of schools and churches.   Early in the year 1886, he set out to seek fortune in the “West”.  About a year was spent in Topeka, KS and another year in Colorado.  He then went to Albuquerque, New Mexico where for about four years he was employed in a foundry and machine shop.  While employed there he was prostrated by an attack of intermittent fever and though tenderly nursed by the friends whom he had made, Far from home and kindred, his young life had its end. He was a member of Albuquerque Lodge I.O.O.F and a member of the Ferguson Hook and Ladder Company, of that city.

Sarah Agnes Graff (nee Earhart)

(From the following “In Memoriam” notice written by her pastor, Rev. A.W. Ringland, Duluth, Minnesota.  Sarah was born December 16, 1853 and married Phillip Melancthon Graff October 15, 1872. She died November 20, 1889. 

                                B O Y D   Q U E R I E S

Send your queries to Richard G. Boyd, 568 W. Friedrich Street, Rogers City, Michigan 49779.  Or email (preferred as I don't have to retype them and risk typos) to me at    Try not to abbreviate, we will do that here if necessary.

Send your queries often as we hand out numerous copies at Scottish games and mail to several genealogical libraries.


Looking for proof of Archibald BOYD having at least 15 children. My family Bible has Archibald Boyd's death on October 20, 1895; he married Susannah PARNELL on June 10, 1854 (some family tree sites have 1855). My great grandfather, Jesse Donald Boyd was born on April 8, 1882 and married 1st Lydia Annie MOORE on Sept 30, 1906 and she gave birth to 2 sons and then Jesse re-married to Ethel Lean BURBA 1883- 1968 buried in Tulsa, OK whose father was Benjamin H. Burba  1857-1923 buried in Tulsa, OK.  I need info on any Burba's also. The interesting part of the John Boyd paper is, it has 2 of his sons w/ the last name of Parnell (spelled Parnel) that's the same maiden name of Susannah. John Boyd's paper reads like this:

John Boyd was born April 18, 1819 and died July 5, 1860. Malinda Boyd was born August 25th, 1818 and died April 9, 1860 (I'm assuming this is John's wife). James Calvin Parnel (spelled wrong possibly) was born June 19, 1839. Seth Edward Parnel was born March 12th, 1841.  William Wesley Boyd was born April 14th, 1844.  Elizabeth Boyd was born January 5th, 1846.  Melvina Boyd was born March 25th, 1848.  Mary Elen Boyd was born December 5th, 1849.  John Henry Boyd was born April 8th, 1853 and died September ___ 1856.  Note: On the back of this paper it reads: Sarah Jane Boyd was born August 15th, 1851 and died August 1st, 1852. Christena Boyd was born April 13th, 1855.  Josiah Boyd was born April 12th, 1851.  Richard Joshua Boyd was born April 9th, 1860 and died September 7th, 1860.  Note:  According to the bible it is as follows:  (but first a note... we found my grandfather's birth certificate and it states that Jesse Donald Boyd was from Arkansas and his mother from Texas.) Archibald Boyd born March 26th, 1809.  Susannah  

(Parnell) Boyd born Oct 10, 1835. James Bishop Jan 21, 1853.  Joshua Boyd Feb 1, 1855.  Riley Boyd Feb 11, 1856.  George G. W. Boyd Nov 5, 1858.  Abraham Boyd Oct 8, 1860.  Malon Boyd Oct 30, 1862.  Samuel Boyd Oct 5, 1864.  Corey Boyd May 13, 1866.  William Boyd March 1, 1869.  Minnie Boyd Sept 25, 1871.  Donald Boyd Nov 19, 1873.  Jesse Donald Boyd April 8, 1882.  Nona Bell Boyd Dec 23, 1873.  Elanor (Jones possibly maiden name, it's not clear) Boyd May 8, 1874 and died Feb 20, 1883.  The bible goes on to lists the deaths.  If anyone needs this info, please let me know.  Dawn M. Orwig, PO Box 221, Talala, OK 74080   or email me at


"Seek marriage, siblings, children, immigration, any data on Mary CLARK/E, b:10 Oct 1872, Grantham, Lincoln Co. Ontario, Canada.; d/o: Mary BOYD, b: 28 Oct 1850 Scot. & Alexander CLARK/E., b: ca 1844 Scot. Mary CLARK/E may have married: Everett LaBonte, abt 1892 Boston, Suffolk Co. MA. USA. Mary CLARK/E may have been called: "LIZZIE LABONTE"  (on the 1920 MA Census IN Boston, Suffolk Co. MA.) and had her Father living with them. (Her Father: "Alexander CLARK/E", B: ca 1844 Scot.) "Alexander CLARK/E" does not appear to be on the 1930 MA. Census. (Does anyone know of his Death record between 1920 and 1930 MA.? (Who were the children of Everett LaBonte and Mary Clark? )(When did Mary BOYD pass away? She was not mentioned on the 1910 Attleboro, Bristol Co. MA. Census with husband: Alexander CLARK/E.); nor were their children. Alexander was listed as a boarder w/ Fred HARRISON. Any info appreciated. Barbara L. Clark, #1180, 200 St. Andrews Blvd. #3704, Winter Park, FL 32792. Email:


Searching for my Boyd family who came to US from Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, N. Ireland.  What year I do not know.  We have three John Boyds in the Family:  1. John Boyd born ca 1787 married Mary ? and died in Enniskillen 5 June 1872.  2. John Boyd born in N. Ireland married 2 Dec 1853 Margaret MILLER (dau. of Robert Miller) born 9 Feb 1827 Enniskillen and died 19 May 1906 in Philadelphia, PA.   3.  Children of John (2) are William Boyd born 1854, Lizzie Boyd born 1856, Edward Boyd born 1858, Jane Boyd born 1859, Annie Boyd born 27 May1861, John Boyd (3) born 1863 and Mary Boyd born 1866.  John Boyd (3)  married Mary RAFFERTY and had a son John James Boyd and stayed in N. Ireland.  Annie Boyd born in 27 May1861 in Enniskillen and died 10 Nov 1932 in Philadelphia married Julius JOHNSON 15 June 1886.  Julius was born 29 Dec 1859 in Copenhagen, Denmark and died 11 Nov 1931 in Philadelphia.  Their daughter, Anna Frances JOHNSON born 10 July 1892 in Philladelphia and died 23 Feb 1969.  She married Frank Fenton ENT 8 Sept 1920. He was born 12 Nov 1892 and died 19 July 1939.  Please contact #1228 Evelyn Ent Row, 300 Willow Valley Lakes Drive Apt D007, Willow Street, PA 17584-9442.

Return to Clan Boyd International Page


This comment system requires you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator has approved your comment.

comments powered by Disqus