THE Kent Historical Society was
founded in 1912 among other objects for the purpose of "diffusing
information relative to the history of the County and of the Dominion, and
in general encouraging and developing, within the County, the study of
During the decade from 1914 to 1924
six volumes of addresses and papers were printed, the first four volumes
now being somewhat rare. One complete set of the volumes is preserved in
the Reference Division of the Chatham Public Library.
Another generation is now occupying
the centre of the educational stage and it is the object of this volume to
reach this younger generation with such of the history of this district as
has found its way into print with the approval of local historians.
The necessity for abridging some of
the valued papers of the Society is to be regretted, but it has been done
to obviate the outlay requisite to have the papers reprinted in full, and
to bring the volume to a more assimilable length.
The endeavour has been made to
preserve all historical facts contained in the papers and in most cases
the original sequence of the paper has been preserved. The papers are
arranged in chronological order.
Only papers of a general historical
nature have been included in this volume, which is a summary of the work
to date. It is not all the history of the County, and future contributions
will be published when the Society has them available.
This volume is published through the