The first constitution of the Queen's Park, drawn up at a
meeting held at 3 Eglinton Terrace, 9th August, 1867, at which ten members
of committee were present, clearly proves that these gentlemen had more than
average insight into the work they undertook—namely, the drafting of a
constitution, and the adoption of the "Rules of the Field," the latter
having been forwarded to the club by Mr. Lilywhite, of London. The following
rules "for the working of the club were then discussed and accepted," viz.
First—That this club shall be called the
"Queen's Perk Football Club," and its object shall be, the recreation and
amusement of its members.
Second.—That the office-bearers shall consist of a
president, captain, secretary, and treasurer, to be elected annually by
ballot; retiring office-bearers eligible for re-election.
Third.—That there be a committee of thirteen
members, including office-bearers, seven of whom to form a quorum at each
Fourth.—That the secretary shall have power at any
time to call a meeting of committee for special purposes.
Fifth.—That the committee meet once a month, from
April to October inclusive, and once during the winter months.
Sixth.—That applicants for membership, on being
proposed and seconded, shall be admitted, provided that a majority of the
Seventh.— That each party pay a shilling of entry
money on being admitted into membership.
Eighth.—That the expenses of the club shall be
defrayed by an annual subscription of sixpence, payable in June.
The "Rules of the Field," which are to be found in the
chapter on the legislative acumen of the Queen's Park, were also revised and
agreed upon at this meeting.
It will be noted that the club at this period looked upon
football as a summer game. Rule 5 of the constitution, given above, provides
for monthly meetings in summer, and the committee were to come together only
once in the winter months. Further proof of this can be gathered from a
meeting held on 18th February, 1868, to fix the date for the general
meeting, when the four following resolutions were adopted, proposed by Mr.
Gardner, and seconded respectively by Messrs. Klinger, Black, R. Smith, and
R. Davidson :—
—That the general meeting be held on
Saturday, 4th April; that on the two previous Saturdays, 21st and 38th
March, the ball be on the field, and that these meetings be advertised
in the "Citizen," so as to allow the members to be aware of them in time
Second.—That the "Rules of the Field," adopted in
minute of 9th August, 1867, be printed previous to the meeting on 21st
March, and that they be binding on the club, on and after that date.
Third.—That the secretary record in each minute
the names of the committee members present.
Fourth.—That Messrs. Skinner, R. Smith, and
Klinger be elected as a committee to procure temporary flag-posts, etc.,
and have the ground measured off previous to the meeting on 21st March.
All preparations were made for commencing the football
season towards the end of March. When other clubs came to be played, these
games were decided in the summer months. The first club match against
Thistle was decided 1st August, 1868 ; Hamilton Gymnasium, 29th May, 1869;
Airdrie, 23rd June, 1870 ; and Drummond, 9th July, 1870. The attention of
the club appears to have been drawn to the fact that football was a winter
pastime by the perusal and revision of the Rugby rules, which they also
procured from Mr Lilywhite in order to put themselves in a position to play
Glasgow Academical Rugby Club, which had refused to meet Queen's Park
because of the difference in codes. When the revision was completed and "
the matter thoroughly ventilated, Mr. D. N. Wotherspoon ultimately proposed
that the Rugby rules, as read, be adopted, to be played between the
beginning of October and end of March." The latest date on which a match had
been played was 24th September, 1870, and then followed a paper chase, 15th
October, 1870. At this stage, 3rd November, 1870, Mr. G. W. Alcock, the
secretary to the Football Association, appears on the scene with his letter
to the " Glasgow Herald," desiring the name of any gentleman willing to take
part in the great International football match, to be played in London
shortly. This brought the Queen's Park into contact with the Football
Association, of which it immediately became a member, deciding to join at
the same meeting at which Mr. Alcock's letter was discussed. The club from
this time forward played football as a winter game, and within a couple of
years made the welkin ring with the name and prowess of the Queen's Park