Search just our sites by using our customised search engine

Unique Cottages | Electric Scotland's Classified Directory

Click here to get a Printer Friendly PageSmiley

Annals of Dunfermline
A.D. 1701 - 1801 - Part 5

  1733.—FANNERS FOR THE HEUGH MILLS.—“John Durie, the town’s sub-tennant of the heugh mills complains to the town council of the great loss he sustains for ‘want of wind’ to dight his shealing, accasioned by ‘the braes of Shealing Hill being all planted at and by west of ye said milnes with trees.’”  The council agreed to contribute twenty-four pounds “to help John to erect his fanners.”  (Burgh Rec., Jan. 1733; also An. Dunf. date 1729.)


  BELL-HOLES SQUNDING BOARDS.—“William Inglis and George Walls informed the council that they had bought timber and put on the sounding-boards on the Steeple, and laid the loft above the bells.  Cost £113. 9s. 8d. Scots.”  (Burgh Records, 23rd March, 1733.)


  WHEAT was first grown in this district at the Gellet.  (Vide Cham. Jour., No. 88, Sept. 1835.)


  TOWN OFFICERS’ LIVERY.—“The council agreed to furnish each of the Town Officers with a big coat Bearing ornaments of Red and Whyte, being the Town’s Livery, and that the Officers put on the said coatts at all times, both Sabbath day and Week day; and if any of them shall be guilty of any malverse, for which they shall be deprived of their office, that the Coatt be immediately taken from him or them, and put upon such person as the council shall choice in room of the Transgressor.”  (Burgh Rec., 28th March, 1733.)


  GREAT SICKNESS prevailed in the town in June, July, and August this year, and a large number, both young and old, were carried off by it.”  (MS.)


  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—Sir Peter Halket of Pitfirrane was re-elected Provost.  (Burgh Records, 1st Oct. 1733.)


  THE AULD KIRK CLOCK and New Crown Wheel.—“The council considereing that the time agreed with Robert Bonnar for keeping and taking care of the Clock Expyred at Michaelmas last, they therefore called for Robert Bonnar when he acquainted the council it was proper there should be made a Crown Wheel of brass for the Clock in order to make her go well.  Which, being considered by the council they agreed with him to make the same and to pay him twelve pounds scots therefore, and sett to him the keeping of the clock for six years to come at the old rent.”  (Burgh Records, 13th Oct. 1733.)


  GREAT THUNDER-STORM.—On the 27th October, 1733, a great thunder-storm passed over the west of Fife.  “A wall of the old Abbey Choir, struck with the lightning, fell; also a part of the old wall” [In-below-th’-Waa’s].  (Old MS. Note, of date August, 1733; see also Sib. Hist. Fife.)


  THE BAKERS’ WHEAT-MILL BUILT.—This mill, now a ruin, stands on the west side of the overflow of water on Heugh Mill Brae, 70 yards south-east of the Palace wall.  On a stone near the foundation there is the date “1733.”  The ancient Shilling or “Sheeling” Hill was on “the brae of the heugh,” a little to the east and north of this mill.


  1734.—“IN-BELOW-TH’-WAA’S” was ordered to be cleansed and kept in proper order.  (Burgh Records)  In the beginning of the 16th century, this passage between the east end of May Gate and the New Row was a narrow, “ill-kept foot-road,” and had then the name of “the foul vennel.”  Afterwards it was known as “In-below-th’-Waa’s”—i.e., below, or at the foot of the north wall of the Abbey Park.  It is now three times its former breadth, and dignified with the name of “Canmore Street,” which name was bestowed on it in 1811.


  THE WEAVERS’ FLAGS—The flags belonging to the incorporation of Weavers were woven in the loom by James Blake, damask-weaver, Dunfermline.  The writer has in his possession one of these flags, it consists of a large sokid sheet of silk damask, on which perfectly different patterns are woven on each side, and on this account considered a great curiosity in weaving.  On one side there is a reed, a sword of the lay, a rocking tree, two shuttles, two temples, and four combs, with the words—


“For the Weavers of Dunfermline.  1734”


and the Weavers’ motto—




and their ensign—a Boar’s Head, with a Shuttle in its mouth.  On the other side, in the centre of the sheet,  is a Lion rampant, surrounded by a border of Scotch Thistles, with a Crown at the head, and a St. Andrew’s Cross, with the motto—




  CITY OF DUNFERMLINE.—“30TH Sept., 1734:  This day the council elected and do hereby elect Patrick Black, merchant, Dunfermline, to be Provost.  Same day Patrick Black demitted office, or rather would not accept it, upon which the council unanimously elected the most honourable John Marques of Tweeddale to be Provost of this burgh till michaelmas nixt, and his Lordship accepted of the character and office.”  (Burgh Records, 30th Sept., 1734.)


  THE NETHER-GATE OF THE ABBEY.—“The council, by petition from the inhabitants of the Nethertown, ‘craving liberty to open the wicket at ye nethergate of the Abbey Park for their convenience,’ was granted, on the condition that they should have a sufficient door on it or glacks and uphold it,” &c.  (Burgh Records, 23rd Nov., 1734.)


    JAMES YOUNG,  MERCHANT,  DUNFERMLINE, Tried by the Regality Court for Manslaughter.—Fernie, in his History of Dunfermline, has the following notice of this trial:--“James Young, merchant in Dunfermline, in December, 1734, was indicted for bruising and wounding Henry Wardlaw, son of lieutenant Patrick Wardlaw, and being the occasion of the boy’s death.  The jury, consisting of fifteen, unanimously found the panel not guilty.  The depute baillies of regality on the trial were Arthur Forbes of Pittencrieff, and Mr. Hugh Forbes, Advocate.”  (Regality Rec. of Dunf. Dec. 1734.)


  LITERATURE—“The Gospel Sonnets.”—The first edition of this work was published towards the end of the year 1734 by its author, Rev. Ralph Erskine, minister of the First Charge of Dunfermline Church.  It is entitled “Gospel Sonnets, or Spiritual Song, in Six Parts,” &c.  This celebrated work has gone through about thirty tow editions.


  ABBEY WALL PARTLY REMOVED.—That part of the north wall of the Abbey, which stood between Abbot and Canmore Streets, was removed in order “to get a nearer road to the new Bleachfield.”  (MS. Note.)


  1735.—BLEACHFIELD CANALS.—The council appointed several of their members to oversee the building of “four canalls in the Bleachfield wt stones on each syde and bottom, and that the same be fallen about as soon as may be.”  (Burgh Records, 7th March, 1735.)


  THE WEAVERS’ CALANDER HOUSE.—In the Burgh Records, 21st March, 1735, “the Corporation of Weavers represent to the council, that they having new built yr calendar in the new raw, and placed some windows on ye south gavill yr of by east ye corner of John Donaldsons house, “ they therefore crave the council to recognize these windows as their rights.  The council, in the meantime, refuse to sanction them in case Donaldson’s heir might at some time enlarge his house by which the weavers’ lights may be stopped, &c.


  ROTTENROW PORT.—The following appears to be the only notice on record of the Rotten Row Port:--“3 May, 1735:  The council having several times visited the foundation of the malt barn proposed to be built by Bailly Lindsay on the north syde of the Rottenraw, and having this day reasoned on the same.  They allow the south east corner of the malt barn to be built nine foot north from the south pillar of the Rottenraw port, and the south wall to run therefrom in a straight line a foot by south the east corner of James Thomson’s byre, and that the stair on the south side shall be only three foot and an half by south the syde wall, and the council ordain Bailley Lindsay to pay Matthew Keir, thesaurer, a guinea for behoof of the community.”  Such like payments, which were “very rife” in those days, do not always appear to have benefited “the community.”  This Port appears to have stood on the street between the south end of North Chapel Street and the north end of Randolph Street.  It is likely that it would be greatly damaged by the “overwhelming fire of 1624,” and afterwards re-built, or “helped.”  (For other Ports, see An. Dunf. dates 1327, 1488, 1585, 1752, 1780.)


  LITERATURE.—“The Female Preacher; or the Woman of Samaria’s Sermon to the Men of the City, by Rev. Ralph Erskine; printed for David Duncan, foot of the West Bow, 1735.”  This production is a 16mo or 79 pp.


  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—“27TH Sept., 1735: Council of the Burgh of Dunfermline, Holden within the Tolbooth thereof by the Magistrates and members of the council.  Sederunt—The Most Honourable The Marquis of Tweeddale, Lord Provost, presiding,” &c., when “the council elected the most Honourable the Marques of Tweeddale, Provost and James Crawford and David Morison, Baillies.”  (Burgh Records.)


  A COPPERSMITH.—Mungo Borland is mentioned in a MS. book, this year, as being a coppersmith at the lower end of the Heugh Mills.  (Old Business Account.)


  1736.—AULD KIRK REPAIRS—“Rotten Laft,” &c.—“The auld kirk was again under repairs in 1736, when a timber roof or awning was erected along nearly the whole length of the middle area of the kirk, a little above the stone pillars.”  This was done in order “to keep the minister’s voice more into the kirk, and to be better heard, and also to make the kirk more comfortable and warm;” the date, 1736, was cut into several of the cross-beams.  The “laft” was removed in 1823; it had the name of the rotten laft shortly after its erection, as the whole fabric of the laft was constructed of ratten deals, &c., or undressed timber. 


  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—It is not know who was Provost this year, the Burgh Records for this date, and also for dates 1737, 1738 and 1739 having been long missing.


  METEOROLOOGY.—According to a MS. Note, “the summer was extraordinarlie hot and sulphry for above 3 months.”


  WEAVING.—David Mackie at this period “carried on the damask weaving trade in Dunfermline, and had three looms employed, which was then reckoned a large stock.”  Mercer’s Hist. Dunf. p. 164


  1737.—REV. RALPH ERSKINE, of Dunfermline, “first formally connected himself with the Associate Synod,” which was instituted in 1733.


  PUBLIC RACES on the Carnock Road established this year, “and ordained to be run there annually at June Fair.”  (Burgh Records.)


  METEOROLOGY.—On the fly leaf of an old book there is a written note by W.B., stating that “this summer, like last one, was extraordinarily warm in Dunfermline, and that the lieges were greatly distressed for want of water, for the Dam, the Back Burn, and Broomhead Burn, had been dry for many weeks.”


  SACRAMENT SUNDAY, 10TH July, 1737—Extraordinary Number of Communicants, Length of Service, &c.—Fraser, in his life of Rev. Ralph Erskine, extracts the following note from his Diary:--“Sabbath, July, 10th, 1737—The sacrament was in Dunfermline, and I preached half an hour before the action began, about half an hour before 8 in the morning, upon Mat. Iii. 17.  The tables began to be served a little after 9 o’clock and continued till about 12 at night; betwixt four and five thousand communicants.”  It would appear that the above number and length of services were nothing uncommon; such had happened yearly since about 1716 and continued so until the death of Rev. Mr. Erskine in 1752.


  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE—Name not know, Burgh Records for this date, &c., lost.


  1738.—RELIGIOUS CONTENTION.—“Much religious contention in Dunfermline and locality at the beginning of 1738. caused by the Secessionists and others.”  (MS. Note.)


  LITERATURE.—“A Paraphrase or Explicatory Poem upon the Song of Solomon,” by Rev. Ralph Erskine, published. 


  TRANSCRIPT OF DUNFERMLINE ABBEY CHARTULARY.—Walter Macfarlane (of the ilk), the eminent antiquary, during the year 1738, made a transcript of the Chartulary (or Register) of Dunfermline Abbey, which is considered to be a faithful translation.  On the death of Macfarlane, in 1767, it was purchased, along with other Abbey transcripts, by the Faculty of Advocated, Edinburgh and deposited in their library, where it may be consulted.  It has been much referred to by antiquaries and others during the last hundred years. 


  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—Name on know.  Burgh Records for this year lost. 


  ABBEY WALL.—“Agreat part of the old Abbey wall, extending along the north side of the Common Vennel (Priory Lane), fell in December, 1738.  It had been long in a very ruinous condition.”  (MS.)


  1739.—SEVER FROST.—According to an old MS. Note, the frost which “set in about the middle of Dec. 1738, continued for 107 days, “ for it did not give way until March 29th this year.”  Dunfermline was “distressed for want of pure water.  The Dam and Clay acres loch on Pilmuir swarmed with sliders, old and young and Curling was brisk.”


  SUBSCRIPTIONS FOR ERECTING A SECESSION KIRK.—An Old MS. Note informs us that “great discontent and irritation prevailed in the town and parish in 1739, in consequence of the Rev. Ralph Erskine, one of their ministers, being placed in such an uncomfortable and unsatisfactory position.  In the month of March, this year, it was resolved, at a numerous meeting of his adherents and kirk-session, that a new kirk should be built in case their minister should be deposed at the then forthcoming meeting of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland,” and “to accomplish this, the town and country was ordered to be canvassed for subscriptions to defray the expenses of the building.”

  Referring to this matter, the Rev. Mr. Erskine has the following entry in his Diary:--“April, 1739:  About this time a libel and summons were put into our hand from the commission, to appear before the Assembly; and what happened in this parish was very remarkable.  Some three weeks ago [end of March, 1739], upon hearing of the libel, our Session, all except four or five, met in order to contribute for a meeting-house, in case of the Assembly’s sentence of deposition; and then they went through the parish for subscriptions, and the people generally and heartily subscribed, some less and some more, according to their ability, and very quickly made a considerable sum, which at present is going on, this being the 17th of April.  It is expected that at least four hundred pounds sterling will be gathered in the parish, even amongst the poorer sort for the most part; and may that have given declaring that, in case of need, they will give as much again.  This collection by subscription is so universal that it is surprising and astonishing both friends and enemies.  Great and wondrous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; and what am I that such favour should be expressed towards me in this place!  Lord. Help rightly to improve this providence.”  (R. Erskine’s Ms. Diary, and Fraser’s Life of Ralph Erskine, Pub. Edin. 1834, pp. 230, 231, &c.)

  The sum ultimately collected does not appear to be on record.  It has been said, however, that shortly before the end of the year 1739 the sum of £1060 was collected, and that a site was then purchased for the erection of the new kirk.  (See An. Dunf. date 1740.)


  A PREACHING TENT, erected for the Rev. Ralph Erskine, “in Clerk Wilson’ yard” (the ground now occupied by St. Andrew’s Church, North Chapel Street.)  Near at hand there was a large barn, in which worship was frequently conducted in inclement weather until early in June, 1741, when “the New Church” was opened for him.  (Fraser’s Life of Rev. Ralph Erskine.)


  ITALIAN VIEW OF DUNFERMLINE.—An Italian View of Dunfermline from the west, was published this year, entitled, “Ruine della Badia de Dunfermling, in Scozia.”  This is similar to the French View of 1730; we have a copy of this print, now a very scarce one. 


  CAUSEWAYS TO BE REPAIRED.—The Maygate causeway ordered to be “re-caused and raised;” and the causeway at the “East end of the toun,” near the Town Green, also ordered to be repaired.  (Burgh Rec.)


  COLLIEROW MILLS.—The council, seeing that the Collierow Mills were in bad repair, and in want of slates, ordered Thomas Knox, their tenant, to repair and put them in order at his own expense, and if he refused, to prosecute him before the Regality Court.  (Burgh Records, 4th August, 1739.)


  WATER.—“6th Sept., 1739:  This day the council considering how profitable it would be for all the inhabitants if clean water could be brought into town for serving Leidges, and it is probable water may be got on the foreside of grants bank, or the Witch Loan, order an inspection and trial of these places.”  (Burgh Records.)  The sites were tried without coming on water.


  SNUFF MILL.—According to an Old Note, “Andrew Paton erected machinery for grinding snuff, in a house below the Corn Mill, on the west side of the conduit and water fall.”  This is supposed to have been the first snuff mill in Dunfermline.


  CHARLES, FIFTH EARL OF ELGIN, died in his 77th year, and was interred in Eastern or Pslater Churchyard of Dunfermline.


  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—Lord Charles Hay (of Blansh), elected Provost.  (Burgh Records 1st Oct., 1739.)


  DANGEROUS STATE OF THE ROTTEN ROW.—James Thomson and Alex Wilson complain that the great quantity of rubbish on both sides of this street throws the water into the middle, and being frozen, makes the street dangerous to pass on; ordered to be inspected.  (Burgh Records, 8th Oct., 1739.)


  1740.—GREAT SNOW STORMS.—An old MS. informs us that during “the whole of the month of Januar in 1740, Dunfermline was visited by terrible storms of snow, and that where it was drifted it was at least 24 feet deep.”


  THE PROVOSTSHIP.—“26th Jan., 1740: Which day was laid before the council a letter to the Baillies and Council from Lord Charles Hay, Provost, whereby his Lordship declares his cheerful acceptance of his office as Provost of this Burgh.  (Burgh Records.)


  THE SECESSION KIRK FOUNDED.—Several notes inform us that “the new Secession Kirk was founded in May, 1740, and that the site purchased for its erection was in the south end of a field on the east side of School End Street (now Bath Street), and that the front wall and entrance of the Kirk reached close upon the Row, called the Back Syde” (now Queen Ann Street).  Another note adds that “the field purchased for the site extended to near Pilmuir, which large purchase was for the purpose of having a tent erected in it for the numerous hearers who attended on sacramental occasions.”  (An. Dunf. 1741; also Fraser’s Life of Rev. Ralph Erskine, p. 246.)


  “ANCIENT SOCIETY OF WEAVERS”.—The society called the Ancient Society of Weavers was instituted early in 1740.  (Mercer’s Hist. Dunf. p. 143.)  It became a friendly society in 1793.


  THE REV. RALPH ERSKINE, minister of the First Charge of Dunfermline Church, was deposed on 12th of May, 1740, by the General Assembly.  (See An. Dunf. date 1742.)


  NEW TANWORK.—“20th Aug., 1740:  Which day upon application from Samuel ford shoe maker, craving a tack of two roods of ground by east the baxters mill In order to set down a tanwork; which was agreed to on certain conditions, and the baillies warranted to sign the Tack on such terms.”  (Burgh Records.)


  ELECTION OF DEACONS OF THE INCORPORATED TRADES IN THE AULD KIRK—Fall of a Gallery: Several People Hurt.—The following paragraph is extracted from the Caledonian Mercury, 15th Sept., 1740:--“We hear from Dunfermline, that the trades being met in the church, in order to elect their deacons, the loft in which they sat was so crowded, that it fell down, whereby several were crushed.”  See also An. Dunf. date 1678.)  The Auld Kirk appears to have been a common place for holding meetings of the incorporated trades, elections of deacons, &c.


  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—“29th Sept., 1740:  The Councill Elected and hereby Elect The Right Honourable Lord Charles Hay Provost.”  (Burgh Records.)


  PITTENCRIEFF HOUSE.—This house, built about the year 1610, had a third storey added to it in 1740.  According to several notes, this storey was built with stones from the palace ruins; perhaps the entire house may have been aided from the same source.  (An. Dunf. date 1610.)


  THE CROSS” being in danger of falling down, the councill order it to be repaired according to the report made on it.”  (Burgh Records 11th Sept., 1740.)


  “BURGH OVER COAL.”—“11TH Oct., 1740:  This day the council agreed to set the over coal to five of the Colliers at half a crown each per week, and Eight pence each of them more for paying the Coal Grieve.”  (Burgh Records.)


  MEAL MARKET.—“25th October, 1740:  Which day the council taking under their consideration the great loss the inhabitants sustain threw ye want of a meall mercat,” &c., “the council for remedie thereof resofved to build or provide a proper place for a meall mercat.”  (Burgh Records.)  “An apartment in the lower floor of the tollbooth was taken for this purpose.”


  THE DEARTH.—A scarcity of provisions “began first to be felt in Dunfermline about Nov.,”  1740.  (Old MS.)


1741.—SHEELLED BEAR BROTH.—“17th Jan., 1741:  The council considering that several persons are demanding sheeled bear in order to make into broth, they order that four or five bolls of the said bear dried and shealled, and then the council will put a price on it.”  (Burgh Records.)


  THE REV. THOMAS GILLESPIE was ordained to the charge of the church of Carnock on 22d January, 1741.  (See An. Dunf. date 1752; Mackelvie’s Annals and Stat., p. 175.)


  THE DEARTH.—“25th April, 1741:  The council considering that the scarcity and dearth of victual continues, and that the    quantity of grain lately commissioned by the Guilderie and brought to this place will in all probability soon be disposed off, the council unanimously agree to commission one fourth part of a Loading of Victual.”  (Burgh Records.)  The vessel called the “Success” arrived at Brucehaven on the 8th June with the town’s order of victual. 


  THE NEW SECESSION CHURCH Finished and Opened for Public Worship.—The new Secession Kirk, “in the Backsyde” Row, according to several Notes, was finished and opened for public worship in June, 1741.  “The kirk was about 80 feet in length, from east to west, 50 feet from north to south; 30 feet in height in front wall; the gable ends from ground to peak of the roof, 50 feet; and had sittings for 1100 worshippers.  There were galleries round three sides of the kirk,” and “they came so close together that they terminated within a few feet on each side of the pulpit in the south wall.  The roof was composed of close-set-together timber, which was thoroughly covered all over with a deep layer of pitch.  On hot days the pitch softened, and occasionally dropped down on the heads of the hearers, to their great discomfort and annoyance.  At the west end there were ‘loupin-on-staps’ for the use of equestrians in leaping on their horses.”


  The following engraving represents a view of this kirk from the south-west, reduced from one made under the direction of George Birrell, Esq., ex-Provost of the burgh, who in his youth worshipped in this celebrated kirk, and who pronounces this view to be a correct representation of the original kirk:--



  The above view may be further described with the aid of our notanda, viz.:  “In the front, or south wall, were eight large oblong windows, arranged in two storeys, three circular ones in the upper storey, and three large oblong entrance doors leading into passages.  A few feet within the middle door, near the south end of the middle passage, stood the pulpit, which fronted the north.  The passage was wide where the pulpit stood, the worshippers passing along each side of the pulpit without inconvenience.”  (Manuscripts.)  Above the lintel-stane of this door, figured the lettered stane, a representation of which is shown in the engraving below.  “The south or front wall of this kirk was built on ground about sixteen feet to the south of the present iron entrance gates, while the north or back wall stood oa few feet to the north of Mr. Erskine’s statue.  The west gable [shown in the view] reached within six feet of the west wall of School End Street” [Bath Streeet].  “It had four large oblong windows., similar to those in the front wall; also arranged in two storeys, between the soles of the lower ones, stood the loupin-on-staps.  At the north west corner of this gable there was yet, which led into the tent parl.”  The only relic of this structure in existence is the lettered-stone which was built into the front wall over the lintel-stane of the middle door.  This stone had lain long, “unheeded and unknown,” amongst lumber in the lumber-place of the present church.  It has recently been placed against the wall, inside of the west door.  As it will be interesting to many of our readers, we give a facsimile engraving of it:--



Probably this inscription was written by the Rev. Ralph Erskine, and may be rendered—


  “Feed and provide, O Christ, for thy flock scattered abroad.  THE LORD WILL PROVIDE.  Ralph Erskine, Minister of God’s Word.  1740.”


(See An. Dunf. dates 1741, 1742, and 1800.)


  REV. GEORGE WHITEFIELD IN DUNFEMRLINE.—This celebrated “Methodist Divine” preached his first sermon in Scotland from the pulpit of Ralph Erskine, in Dunfermline, on 31st July, 1741.  Whitefield, in his Diary, referring to this occasion, says:--“I went to Dunfermline yesterday, where dear Mr. Ralph Erskine hath got a large and separate, or as it is commonly termed, Seceding Meeting-House.  He received me very lovingly.  I preached to his and the town’s people—a very thronged assembly.  After I had done prayer, and named my text, the rustling made by opening the bibles all at once quite surprised me: a scene I never was witness to before,” &c.  This sermon would be preached in the then recently erected meeting-house.  On the evening of August 1st, Mr. Whitefield returned to Dunfermline, and preached in the “Orphan’s House Park” (extreme end of East Port Street.)  “Dear Mr. Erskine accompanied me.  I preached to many thousands in this park.  The Lord was there.  Immediately after sermon a large company, among whom were some of the nobility, came to salute me.”  (Whitefield’s Diary; also Fraser’s Life of the Rev. Ralph Erskine p. 328.)


  MEETING OF THE “ASSOCIATE SYNOD” WITH THE REV. MR. WHITEFIELD.--This new body met in the house of the Rev. Ralph Erskine (down a close, south side of the High Street, leading down to the east end of the Maygate) by special appointment, on the 5th August, 1741, to mee and confer with the Rev, Mr. Whitefield respecting his religious views, &c.  The meeting took place.  Various versions have been given of this celebrated meeting; but there can be no doubt that it “ended rather unpleasantly.”  (Fraser’s Life of the Rev. Ralph Erskine pp. 329, 330.)


  TIMBER STAIRS, &c.—“15th July 1741:  At a council meeting held this day, Baillie Wilson stated that the whole or most part of ye houses in ye town have had originally timber fore stairs, and some with auderys without stone pillars below, and yr can no instance be given of any hereitor being restricted from building as far out as their stone pillars, and in this wise ye was not only stone pillars but a piece of side wall.”  (Burgh Records.)


  PROVOST OF DUNFERMLINE.—Lord Charles Hay, of Blansh, re-elected Provost.  (Burgh Records, 28th Sept., 1741.)

Return to Book Index


This comment system requires you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator has approved your comment.

comments powered by Disqus