THE ten-merk land of Auchmore
lies on the south side (plfs) of Loch Tay, to the east of Macnab Lands. It
was acquired by the Glenorchy Campbells first in tack and afterwards in feu
from the Menzieses of Weem. The Earls of Athole held it prior to the latter
The greater part of the
property formed until recently a detached part of the parish of Weem. It is
now in Kenmore parish, and is divided from Killin parish by the burn of
Auchmore. The small strip of land, which lies between this burn and Macnab
Lands, was formerly called Wester Auchmore. At the northern end of Wester
Auchmore close to the ford at the junction of the rivers Dochart and Lochay,
was Reindow, which gave name to the fishings at this end of Loch Tay.
Auchmore, including Auch and
the mill of the property, was wadsetted early in the last century to John
Campbell of Achallader, Chamberlain of Breadalbane. The house of Auchmore,
which was occupied by him, was at that time a dwelling of meagre dimensions.
In 1806, considerable additions were made to it, and it was subsequently
occupied by the son of the fourth Earl of Breadalbane. The handsome
structure, which occupies the site of the old house, was built by the
present Marquis of Breadalbane in 1872. It is in the Italian style of
architecture, and was erected at a cost of £70,000.
At Firbush Point there are
traces of an intrenchment, the remains of an ancient castramentation,
regarding which there is nothing known.