group that I have ever guided around Scotland has visited Branklyn
Gardens. It's an absolute " must visit." Described as the
"finest two acres of private gardens in the UK," Branklyn
Gardens are located on the way out of the city of Perth, on the road
towards Dundee. The garden was started in 1922 on the site of a former
orchard and was taken over by the National Trust for Scotland in 1967. It
has a wonderful collection of plants and is particularly colourful in the
spring time when the rhododendrons and many alpine plants are in bloom.
Botanists come from all over the world to see it. The gardens are open
from 9.30am until sunset (which in the summer time can be well into the
evening). While we are in the area, we might take time out for a walk in
the nearby Kinnoull Hill - there are magnificent views down the Firth of
Tay and across to the soaring Friarton Bridge which crosses the river,
avoiding the city of Perth (not that you would want to!). And if you are
keen on gardens and flowers, the Dundee University Botanic Gardens, 15
miles further down the River Tay, is also well worth a visit.
To Visit In this Area Include:
Alyth Folk Museum, open only in summer, has collection of agricultural and
Secluded and unsignposted village built on private property. Houses
overlook village green split by rushing burn.
Remains of Pictish fort on top of hill. Guinevere, King Arthur's queen, is
said to have been imprisoned here for loving Pictish prince. View rewards
Village, dating from 19th century, on River Tay. Birnam Wood mostly birch
and oak. Terrace Walk along right bank of Tay passes oak said to be last
survivor of original Birnam Wood featured in prophecy of Macbeth's death.
Blairgowrie and Rattray
Scotland's largest working water wheel on view at Keathbank Mill. Heraldic
crests centre here. Two towns linked by 19th-century bridge over River
Ericht. North of town, river rushes through 200ft deep gorge overlooked by
Bridge of Cally
Peaceful village in sheltered gorge at meeting place of River Ardle and
Black Water. Choice of walks through deciduous forests.
Camperdown House and Country Park
European brown bears, wolves, lynxes, arctic foxes, reindeer, raccoons and
golden eagles can be seen at wildlife centre. Other activities include
golf, horse riding, tennis and Adventure Park. House has golf museum
tracing sport's history.
From Law of Dundee, hill of volcanic rock in centre of town, views of
surrounding areas including docks. Iron Age hill-fort and War Memorial
here. McManus Galleries have displays of history and art including Dutch,
French, Italian and British paintings, and oldest known astrolabe --
dating from 1555. Barrack Street Museum has natural history exhibits.
Steeple of St Mary's Tower, dating from 16th century, now museum of church
and local history. Ruins of Mains of Fintry Castle in Caird Park. Mills
Observatory has displays on astrology and space travel, and allows public
to use telescopes. Traditional methods of sweet making explained at Shaw's
Sweet Factory- Frigate Unicorn, oldest British-built ship still
afloat is now museum for Royal Navy. 11115 Discovery, Captain
Scott's ship, has displays of ship's history, with actors reliving events
on board. In suburb of Broughty Ferry, 4 miles east of town, Broughty
Castle houses museum of whaling and local life.
Ruined cathedral dates from 12th century, 14th-century choir now houses
parish church. Cathedral and High Streets have restored 17th-century
houses, one of which has metal ell, measurement for cloth, on wall.
Scottish Horse Museum has memorabilia of one of Scotland's two Highland
Iron Age hill-fort enclosed by strong rampart -- said to be site of
Pictish symbol stone in ruins of Eassie church. Cross and figures carved
on one side; elephant men and animals on other.
St Marnock's Church dates from 1453 and has medieval painted panels,
bronze alms dish and bell dated 1508. Jougs -- iron collars for tying up
wrongdoers -- still hang from oak doors. Nearby Fowlis Castle built early
Glamis Castle, childhood home of Queen Mother and birthplace of Princess
Margaret, reputed to be most haunted stately home in Britain. Six-storey
tower built in 15th century, but wings, turrets and castellated parapets
added in the 17th century. Collection of tapestries, paintings, furniture
and weapons. Parkland and formal garden laid out by Capability Brown; also
2lft high sundial with 84 dials. Angus Folk Museum in Kirkwynd has
collection of furnishings, clothes and tools used by local community over
last 200 years housed in 19th-century cottages. Glamis Stone nearby has
From gentle, forested slopes around village of Clova, glen narrows to wild
mountain home of red deer, wildcat and ptarmigan.
River Isla runs through picturesque valley for 17 miles. Loch fishing,
horse riding and cross-country skiing. Highland Adventure Centre at
Knockshannach, east of Kirkton of Glenisla.
Roadside cairn in memory of Captain Scott and Dr Wilson, who planned their
Antarctic exploration at Dr Wilson's home in the glen. Walks through birch
woods along glen.
The Hermitage Woodland
Walk leads through wooded area containing numerous exotic trees, beneath
19th-century railway bridge, along River Braan, past 18th-century bridge
to folly over-looking waterfall.
Highland Motor Heritage Centre
Classic and vintage cars, costumes and accessories displayed in authentic
period settings. Driving game, free slot-car racing and motor heritage
Remains of castellated mansion consisting of two medieval towers, linked
by--another tower in 17th century. Ceiling timbers carved with scrolls,
fruit and the faces of dragons and other animals. Fragments of colourful
wall paintings remain.
Ramparts and ditches of timber fortress built by Roman general Agricola in
Three-storey house is the start for Victorian walk which passes wooded
river bank where Queen Victoria once took tea, then 4 mile climb up
Kindrogan Hill where surrounding mountains are indicated on circular map.
Village overlooking Carse of Gowrie, River Tay and Ochil Hills. Kinnaird
Castle dates from 12th century -- restored in 1855 and now private home.
Kirkton of Glenisla
Ruined Forter Castle stands 4 miles north-west of village. The village
itself is on River Isla.
Birthplace of author and playwright J.M. Barrie, creator of Peter Pan. His
home now houses Bane Museum. On hill behind the graveyard where Barrie is
buried is cricket pavilion with camera obscura. Views north towards
highlands and south across Strathmore Valley.
Loch of Kinnordy
Freshwater loch with large numbers of nesting water birds. Observation
Loch of the Lowes
Loch is part of Scottish Wildlife Trust reserve. Hide allows for viewing
of water birds and pair of nesting ospreys. Visitor centre has wildlife
exhibition and several small aquaria. Woods surrounding centre populated
by roe and fallow deer.
Megginch Castle Gardens
The grounds of this 15th-century castle have a physic garden, 16th-century
rose garden, astrological garden and 1000-year-old yews.
Meigle Museum contains 25 Pictish and early Christian carved stones, found
Beech hedge, 100ft high and 580yds long, forms eastern border of Marquis
of Lansdowne's home
-- said to be largest hedge of its kind in world.
Ancient city, made Royal Burgh in 1210, though few old buildings remain.
St John's Kirk conse-crated in 1243, but now mainly 15th century. From
here, John Knox preached his sermon on idolatry that resulted in church
wrecking throughout Scotland. Restored mill from 18th century produces
flour and oatmeal in the traditional way. Fair Maid of Perth's House, once
home of Catherine Glover, heroine of Sir Walter Scott's novel, now a craft
shop. Black Watch Museum and Gallery holds treasures of High-land
regiments. Perth Art Gallery and Museum has displays of local history,
art, natural history and archaeology. Whisky blending explained at Dewar's
distillery. Walk up Kinnoul Hill to folly at top, views of surrounding
Village of 18th-century cottages and houses. North-east stands a
prehistoric burial mound.
Impressive waterfall where River Isla cascades into deep gorge.
Pink-stone castellated mansion, enlarged in 1803 around 16th-century and
earlier buildings. Place where kings of Scotland were crowned. Interior
reveals china, ivories, clocks and exquisite French furniture -- including
Marie Antoinette's writing table. Grounds include pinetum, wood-land
garden, children's play-ground and picnic area. Elaborately decorated
chapel on Moot Hill in front of palace.
Well-preserved example of Iron Age earth house, comprising pas-sage, long
gallery and small inner chambers. Close by is dovecote shaped like house,
kindly supplied by Scot Travel