Search just our sites by using our customised search engine

Unique Cottages | Electric Scotland's Classified Directory

Click here to get a Printer Friendly PageSmiley

Mini Biographies of Scots and Scots Descendants (Q)
Queen Family

The Scottish Clans and their Tartans, give the source of our name as follows: MacQueen (Gaelic) MacCuire for MacShuibbne, from N.Sweyn. Gaelic MacSwan. In Syke MacQueens.

The MacQueens are of Norse origin, from Iweyn or Suyne, rendered in Gaelic MacCuine or McShuibhne. A Sween McQueen signed the Clan Chattan Bond of 1609. Although latterly regarded as a sept of the Clan Chattes, they are more likely to be of the Clan Ronald origin. In the thirteenth century a family of MacSweens held lands in Kinteze, especially Castle Sween. In Syke we find the Gaelic name McSwain taking form of MacSweens, MacSwan and Swan in English.

Although originally but an offshot of the Hebridean MacQueens who owed allegiance to the Lord of the Isles, the MacQueens of Corrybrough, who settled in Strathdearn, may be said to have occupied the positions of the "Head of the haill (whole) name."

The MacQueens were known as Clan Rovan, the circumstance which the MacQueens left the West Coast and setteld in Strathdearn are stated to be as follows: Early in the Fifteenth century Malcolm Beg MacKintosh (10th of MacKintosh) married Mora MacDonald of Moidart and with the bride came, as was the custom, several of her kinsmen, who took up their abode near her new home. Among the followers were Revan MacMulmon MacAntus, of whom the Clan Revan are descended, and Dolan MacGillandrisch of whom the Clan Revan is descended.

Roderick Dee Revan MacQueen is said to have fought under MacKintosh at the battle of Harlaw in 1411. This was secured from England by Harry Sterling Queen at a cost of $25.00.

The Early History of the Family Tree

The immediate branch of the McQueen Family was a citizen of Tipperrary County of Ireland, and Charles McQueen was a private in the English Army and an honored magistrate of his native County, but accoding to the ruling of the English Parliment, no one of Scotch or Irish name could rank as a Commissioned Officer. So in order to receive this commission, Charles McQueen had to drop the prefix Mc from his original name, and became an English officer under the name of just CHARLES QUEEN. He was said to be a man of commanding presence and courage and discretion in the execution of his Official Trust, and by virtue of his New Official Position, and by an act of the English Parliment, he was entitled to enter free of cost (1400) acres of land in the Virginia Colony of America, while a private citizen or soldier of England, could only enter (400) acres. Now this is how, we as a people got the name of just QUEEN.

We find there are quite a number of emigrants coming to America from Ireland by the name of McQueen and McQuinn, and they tell us there are no people in Ireland by the name of just QUEEN. Now it was for this purpose of availing himself of entering the (1400) acres of land in America that caused CHARLES QUEEN and his young wife come to America in or near (1750), and they wended their way into this section of the Virginia Colony, in Harrison County of America, and located a homestead on the waters of Gnatty Creek at the mouth of Peeltree, a stream of (4) miles in length and selected land, later owned by old Judge Edwin S. Dunkin and at present owned by Porter Maxwell, and Ira Post heirs.

Whether CHARLES QUEEN entered the full (1400) acres of land or not, is not known. If he took out a Patten for the (1400) acres of land, it should have been recorded in the Clerk's Office (for Pattens), in Richmond, Virginia, and this all came about before the Revolutionary War.

There was a son born in 1752 to CHARLES QUEEN and his young wife while they were here in America, and was given the name of CHARLES QUEEN, JR., and they did not remain here for long in America, but returned to England, and CHARLES QUEEN, SR., soon died, and as it was the law of that country that the parents of children had to give their sons a trade of some kind, the mother of CHARLES QUEEN,JR., bound him out to the weaver's trade, and when he had served his time at his trade, he then had to serve time in the English army, so when he had reached his majority, and was a free man, he longed and desired to see the land of his birth, in America, so the son, CHARLES QUEEN, JR., returned to America in or near the year (1770), and took possession of the old homestead on Gnatty Creek at the mouth of Peeltree. At this time he was not married, but soon did marry Miss May Haley in 1773, a native of that country, and to this union (9) children were born.

CHARLES QUEEN,JR., died and was buried in the old homestead in an orchard, east of Clarksburg and Buckhannon Highway, opposite the Ira Post Mansion.

Of course after 1863 this land is now in the state of West Virginia, and the Clarksburg And Buckhannon Highway is now West Virginia state Rt 20

Joseph Queen at

Return to Q Index
Return to Mini Bios Index


This comment system requires you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator has approved your comment.

comments powered by Disqus