"Regardless of who discovered the Earltown waterfall, it must be assumed
that the first settlers in the general area knew the location as a
potential site for water powered mills. After careful consideration of
the site and the developing needs of the community, it was decided that
the grant of land containing the power source should be owned and
developed by a person having experience in the construction and operation
of water powered equipment. Since a person possessing these
qualifications was not available from the local farmers, the thoughts and
search turned to kinfolk in Scotland.
A majority of the emigrants at that period came from the Parish of Rogart
(Sutherland, Scotland) so it was natural that the search should concentrate on
experienced men who might be persuaded to join their relatives in
Earltown. The unanimous choice was John MacKay, Sr.,
who came from a family of millers and who had already taken up land in Middle
River. (Whether this was Middle River in Pictou County, or on Cape Breton
Island, no one is sure). On learning of the Earltown
opportunities, he accepted the challenge and took title to the 100 acres shown on
the Land Grant Map and engaged the services of a Mr. Wright to build the wooden
structure. [Other sources state that he brought a millwright with him, a
gentleman by name of Grant of Rovie Farm in Rogart.]
The date of completion is obscure at this as Patterson, in his History of
Pictou County, states only the John MacKay put up the first grist mill in
Earltown. Israel Longworth gives 1825 as the
date the mill was in operation, also, it is understood that sometime in
1823 the first grist was processed.
"Under the date of February 1, 1828, MacKay petitioned the House of
Assembly in Halifax for a grant of money which would enable him to
complete construction of the mill.
"The petition states that a mill for the manufacture of oatmeal and flour
is in process of construction and will cost the builder nearly one hundred
pounds, an amount the petitioner was not prepared to advance. Since the
mill would meet the needs of about two hundred families, the petitioner
urged consideration of the request. It is not known whether or not the
request was granted but in response to "Agricola's" writing, many mills in
other parts of the province were given financial assistance by the House
of Assembly in Halifax.
"In any case, the mill was completed with flume and water wheel at the
foundation level and the top floor, which reached road level, gave a
convenient entrance for delivery and processing of grain. The drying kiln
was built across the road and at a slightly higher elevation. This gave
ground access to the heating chamber on the lower level and also ground
access to the perforated metal floor of the drying kiln directly above the
"The two granite millstones were moved from a site at the West Branch by
the use of two sleds and the muscle power of 36 men who willingly
volunteered in order to see the mill start producing oatmeal and flour.
Apparently few or any horses were owned by the farmers of
in 1838, so the men of the area volunteered to transport the half-ton of
Scotland's best granite over 14 miles of rough road by sheer muscle power.
The "Miller" organized his 36 helpers into two teams, each equipped with
ropes and a low wooden sled. They then applied a generous coating of
tallow to the sled runners and set out before daylight for the 14 mile
journey. The "lower" or "bed-stone" was placed on one sled and the
"upper", or "runner stone", on the other. By alternating positions each
team took turns breaking trail, thus the precious millstones were moved
from the West Branch, Pictou County, to
Earltown by 36 determined men.
"The Earltown grist mill and later addition of a saw mill and carding mill
served the immediate area while John MacKay, Sr., was active, but closed
when he died in 1869, age 76. The foundation stones of the drying kiln
were visible until the 1920's when new road construction and alignment
close the mill hill road and the sharp turn around the kiln site onto the
Denmark road was eliminated. This turn caused grief for many motorists
when cars first appeared on the narrow winding roads. Also, long vehicles
with heavy loads travelling from the Truro side towards Tatamagouche would
encounter problems negotiating this sharp turn. In winter, the ice and
snow could cause sleighs to slide dangerously close to the edge of the
In the 1870s, Alexander MacKay (son of the above John MacKay, who
emigrated from Rogart about 1818), established a
Grist Mill in Balmoral Mills,
a neighbouring community to Earltown. Today, it remains a working mill as
part of the Nova Scotia Museum complex.
Newspaper Clipping in scrapbook kept by Mrs. Alverda Tucker, Truro, N.S.
This comment system requires
you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an
account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or
Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these
companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All
comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator
has approved your comment.