John Maltman, a Scot of the
McGregor Clan, came to Australia a free man and played a worthy part in
the development of Queensland. This was compiled by John William, his
son and given to Gwen Trundle in 1953. The staff of the Oxley
Memorial Library in Brisbane are responsible for the historical
data... much appreciated.
The sailing ship Janet Mitchell
months out of Glasgow was nearing the wharf at Port Phillip. John
Maltman an 18 year old crew member was very anxious to touch
Australian soil. This was the big adventure that he had planned so
ardently for the last two years. As an apprentice in a chemist shop in
Glasgow, he longed to travel and had prevailed on his father to pay
£100 for him to join the ship as a crew hand. His father was well able
to afford this as he was foreman for Hutcheson & Mitchell soap
manufacturers of Glasgow. On the long journey out young John was
frequently at odds with the boatswain and was glad to get ashore on
leave. The crew marvelled at the desolate appearance of the little town
of Melbourne. There seemed to be so few people about. Ships were riding
at anchor - deserted.
They were not long finding the reason. It
spread through the ship like fire through dry grass. Gold had beendiscovered about 100 miles from Melbourne. Men from all walks of
like shouldered a swag, pick and shovel and wash pan. The bush track to
Ballarat was crammed with men in carts, on horseback and on foot, all
lured on in the bitter cold to El Dorado. Very soon John
Maltman was among them. This young man was more used to handling a
pestle and mortar than a dolly, but he soon won some gold dust with
aching limbs, blistered hands and shining eyes. It took all his gold to
buy necessities of life that were offered for sale at exorbitant prices
by get rich quick traders who followed the camps. Knowing more
about pills than rocks, he just managed to keep himself. Throughout
life, gold always had a strong fascination for him but it never yielded
him any financial gain.
After leaving theBallarat Diggings, he went to a gold rush in New Zealand but had
no luck. Returning to Australia, he found work on Traveston Station
in Queensland, when it was formed in 1857 by Robert Glissan, who
owned North Traveston Station as well. Each run consisted of
16,000 acres, and there young John worked long hours, under hard
conditions and in lonely places infested with dingoes. Work followed on Tiaro
Station, first run taken up in the Wide Bay area, having been
selected by Mr. Jollife for John Eales in 1843. There they
learned to shear sheep. He did not stay there long as he wanted his own
land. Land could be had for the asking so John scouted about and decided
on a block on the banks of the Mary River near Maryborough. There he
built the usual squatters bark hut while he got his land in working
order. He fell trees and planted the first banana suckers from Fiji, in
Then he cleared 100 acres
and planted maize. While these two crops were growing he built a slab
home, cutting timber on his own land and adzing it himself. This home
was ready for his father, mother and two brothers who came from Scotland
to join him. His two brothers were very delicate in health. They were a
very devoted family - all interested in botany and grew ½ acre of
flowers with the love of enthusiasts. The maize grew to a bumper crop.
John and his father harvested it with black labour and transported it by
barge down Mary River to Maryborough. There they received 1/- (one
shilling) a bushell, from an agent named Brooker, who sold it to diggers
at Canoona for 10/- (ten shillings). While his crops were growing, John
gravitated to the diggings, but had no luck.
He worked on Raglan Station near
the infant town of Gladstone. Raglan was owned by James
Landsborough. After shearing cut out on Raglan Station, John went
south to Monduran near the present town of Gin Gin in the
Lower Burnett Valley. This was selected in 1849 by the Landsborough
Brothers (See William Landsborough in Electric Scotland) James and
William. William later became famous as an explorer. At Monduran a
friendship was formed between William Landsborough and John
Maltman that was to last throughout their lives.
After shearing was over at Monduran, John
again headed south humpin his bluey. At his Mary River plantation
he found everything in good order, but his two brothers were sinking
into a decline unfortunately.
John set out to walk to Brisbane,
capital of newly formed State of Queensland. There had been a big
drought in 1866 followed by disastrous floods. Unemployment was a
serious problem. Money was scarce and the Bank of Queensland had closed
its door. Discovery of gold would solve the states problems as it
had done in Victoria in the early fifties. A reward of £3,000 was
offered for the discovery of payable gold. John was wondering where to
start prospecting, when he heard of the death of one of his brothers. So
he shouldered his bluey again and started toward Maryborough. In a
deep gully 100 miles north of Brisbane, John camped beside another
traveller and remarked that it looked like gold bearing country,
suggesting that they wash a few pans of dirt. Unfortunately they didnt
sink a pick. After exchanging convivial hospitality they moved on. Two
weeks later that spot was washed by James Nash, a prospector from
Nanango, on his way to look for gold near Gladstone. He found 1
oz - 3 pennyweight of gold and then smashed his pick. The nearest pick
was at Maryborough nearly 60 miles away. He set out on foot to get one.
On his return he won 75 ozs in six days. Thus was Gympie born in 1867.
married in 1870 to LETTY (Letitia) MULHOLLAND an Irish girl who
came out in the GoldenLand to Maryborough in a
party of girls sponsored by the Church of England (Ireland). Her people
were Innkeepers in Ireland. As a nurse she gave service among the
typhoid cases on Golden Land. John was at Raglan shearing
when he heard of the death of his other brother so he set out for Tiaro.
There Lettys first child Alexander Richard Maltman was born.
Later John and Letty moved to the Noosa
River leaving the Tiaro plantation in charge of Johns father and
mother. Oxley Memorial Library in Brisbane has an entry in Whitworths
Official Post Office Directory for 1874 Alexander Maltman
farmer, Mary River, Tiaro and another John Maltman Farmer,
Tewantin. Johns parents wished to return home, so John mortgaged
his farm for £100 and paid their fares home to Glasgow in Scotland.
At Tewantin John started fishing and
bee-keeping. They lived in a house belonging to Mr. Mayes on north
bank of the Noosa River, opposite the site of present day Noosaville.
There John flourished. Mullet were so plentiful that they could be
scooped up in hand nets. He sold all his fish to a Mr. Brown who sent it
to Gympie on pack horses. He had 500 hives of bees. The honey was packed
in tallow casks and sent to Sydney and Melbourne in the sturdy little
ship Culgoa. A friend bought John three hives of Italian bees for
a present. Unfortunately there was undetected infestation of white moths
in them. This spread to Johns bees and he lost the lot.
John continued fishing.
A friend named Leishman, a Scot, took out a mining lease in
Gympie called the Lady Mary. He offered John Maltman a share, but John
refused it. After sleeping one night in Nashs Gully, on top of a
golden fortune, without finding it, he was convinced that there was no
luck in gold for him. Leishman tried to persuade him, but John
would have none of it. Leishman made a fortune and set out for Scotland
to retire. Before leaving he tried to sell out his lease but failed.
While he was on the water a very rich reef was found and another fortune
fell into Leishmans lap. The whole family went back to Gympie and
lived in luxury.
Once more John Maltman had missed the
nuggets. Letty had four children,
two of them having died, leaving Alex and Robert. Their fifth child John
William Maltman was born at Noosa in 1875. The nearest doctor was at
Gympie over 30 miles away. There was a road of the worst kind, making
conveyance of sick people very painful and hazardous. Johns
experience as assistant to a practising chemist in Glasgow was a boon to
the sick in the Noosa area. Men rode miles to see him and waited for
hours for him to return from his fishing. Even later when he was foreman
in McGhie Luya Timber Mill at Tewantin, John was allowed to leave his
work, visit the sick people on horseback and return to Tewantin to the
Telegraph Station. He would telegraph symptoms at length to Dr. JohnPennefather Ryan at Gympie. Dr.Ryan would telegraph treatment and
prescription to John, who dispensed the medicine from his well stocked
chest of physic. All this was done in an honorary capacity and every
home in the area had cause to bless JOHN MALTMAN. Such were our
pioneers, unselfish, helpful and courageous.
Then came the dark spot in Johns life.
He had always been a heavy smoker and years of fishing in wet clothes
had weakened his constitution. He developed a cough and had to leave the
damp sea air, as he feared he would go into decline. Regretfully he sold
his fishing boats and nets, also his medicine chest and went to Brisbane.
The family lived in a shingle roofed house in Brunswick Street,
next to the site of the Brunswick Street, Railway Station and almost
next door to John Petries workshops, timber yards and joinery
works. Seventh child Edith Maltman was born there. Two of their children
had died, leaving them four boys Alex, Robert, John and Samuel.
set up a half ships tank in his back yard and made soap. He
had grown up in the soap making as this was his fathers work in
Glasgow. All went well for a while, but he was eventually squeezed out
by Tinker Campbell, who owned extensive soap works near Bowen
Park. Previously Campbell had soap works at Darragh Street, Kangaroo
Point, but was at Bowen Hills in 1876. Campbells Soap works
still stand today at corner of Bowen Bridge Road and Campbell street
near Brisbane General Hospital. John went to Coomera and worked in Howards
Sugar Mill. Much improved in health, he took up land at Glenview
on the Mooloolah River. Contempory selectors were Anderson, Goodwin,
Munklewich and Maddock. John was a neighbour to Ewan Maddock.(Ewan
Maddock Dam in his memory at Mooloolah)
John started soap boiling there
and to this day the spot on the river is called the Soap Hole.
It is now owned by Roy Maltman (decd). Roy was a grandson of
grand old John Maltman. As well as soapmaking, John grew fruit, maize
and vegetables, ably helped by his wife (Letty) and children. Ready
money was scarce but they had good food and brave hearts. That was the
lot of these brave settlers. When a baby was orphaned by the disastrous
flood of 1893 John and Letty reared him as their own. (Bill Maltman
of Toowong, Brisbane)
Their neighbours - The Westaways of
Meridan Plains and their relatives the Pollock family, were
very kind and helpful. In fact, it was Mr. Pollock who gave John his
first job at Mooloolah. In 1880 William Landsborough the famous
explorer and friend of John, arrived at Golden Beach to retire on 2,000
acres that the Queensland Government had granted him as reward for his
exploration. At once William Landsborough made John his overseer
and employed his two sons Robert and Alexander (younger at 13
years) as shepherds. It was a hard and lonely life for the boys as they
minded sheep and angora goats. At weekends they walked home to Glenview,
ten miles away. When the recognised wage was 25/- William paid John
30/-. When he lay dying, Landsborough asked for his old friend and he
passed away holding Johns hand in 1886. John was then aged 53 and
devoted his time to to his farm at Glenview where he died in 1916. He
was indeed one of our Nation Builders.
MARRIAGE - James & Mary (Shearer)
MALTMAN Old Parish Register -
James Maltman, Cooper of Glasgow and Mary
Shearer residing there m.2.1.1832.
Death Certificate - MARY d.24.9.1877
Western Infirmary, Mary Maltman, w/o James Maltman, cooper-journeyman
aged 70. Usual address 34 Ann St.,Port Dundas, Glas.
Parents..Shearer,cotton weaver,dec.& Janet Shearer m.s.cuddie (?
m.s.BAIN.?) Death certificate not always correct. Informant seldom
knows. Informant James Maltman was [widower] living 34 Ann St, Port
Dundas. Reference 1877d/Kelvin 644/9/733.
Death Certificate - JAMES
d.8.7.1884. 51 Cedar St., Glasgow, James Maltman
cooper-journeyman, widower of Mary
Shearer, aged 74 s/o James Maltman, hand
loom weaver deceased and Mary Maltman,
m.s McLeod deceased, informant -
Margaret Murdoch who says she was
daughter in law, 14 Corn street, Glasgow.
Not quite accurate. See marriage Maltman
to Murdoch [? second marriage ?]
- John MALTMAN h/o Margaret Shearer. John a cooper and
journeyman d.4.6.1877 Milton, Glasgow,
from residence Dobbies Lane Glasgow
aged 74 5/0 John Maltman, master cotton
warper and Catherine nee Jamieson
Witness; daughter Catherine Barrie of 65
South Cobur; Street, Glasgow.
Janet Bain MALTMAN rn.18.7.1856 James
JEFFREY at 23 Ronald St. Glasgow.
Janet b.1832 to John Maltman & Margaret Shearer. James(20yrs)
married Janet Bain Maltman (22yrs) rites of United Pres.Ch.Both lived at
5 Middleton Place, Garngad Rd. James, bach./cratemaker, s/o John
Jeffrey,cratemaker & Ann Clarkson.
Our John MALTMAN s/o James MALTMAN -
cooper & Mary SHEARER.My
conclusion is brothers John & James worked for Hutchison &
Mitchell, soap chemist, central Glas.Cert.David Forrest, of St.Rollox,
Glasgow. Witn.Wm.Stewart, potter,Garngadhill & Thomas
John MALTMAN m.31.12.1829 Margaret
SHEARER Glasgow - Issue:-
1.John MALTMAN b.13.2.1830 Glasgow
2.Janet Bain MALTMAN b.9.2.1832 married
3.Catherine Jamieson MALTMAN ch.2.2 1837
Glasgow m.24.4.18E3 John BARRIE
1.Margaret Shearer Barrie b.7.1 1864
2.John Barrie b.8.8.1867
3.Robert Hannan Barrie b.7.8.1869.
4.George Jamieson Barrie b.30.12.1871
5.Catherine MaItman Barrie b.7.2.1875 at
4.John MALTMAN b.30.5.1834
5.Mary Strang Hutcheson MALTMAN
b.2.7.1840 rn.12.7.1861 Joseph HORN.
1.Duncan Cameron Horn b.3.7.1862
2.John Maltman Horn b.4.3.1864 Milton
3.Elizabeth Hogg Horn b.16.5.1866 Milton
4.Margaret Shearer Horn b.2.7.1868 Govan
5.Ann Bannerman Dobbie Horn b.20.6.1870
6.Charles Lizars Dobbie Horn b.17.11.1872
6.Jean MALTMAN 1.12.1842.
7.Michael MALTMAN b.13.2.1845.
From State Archives Queensland - The
Maltman Land Orders about 1863;
James Maltman TRE/N5. p.59 67/24
Mrs.Maltman IMM/251. IMM/255. 66/1987 see
James Maltman (2). .66/1987. c63/553 same
IMM above. 67/24.
James Maltman TRE/N4. p.124.. .66/1987.
John Maltman TRE/N1...c63/553..
Second Land Orders....
James Maltman ... 63/553 Mary Maltman....
James Maltman ... 63/553 Alexander
From book.. p.59. second land orders.
No.4. James Maltman 12.2.1863
From State ARCHIVES 17.6.1864.
John MALTMAN purchased 75 acres for £75
plus deed fee £1/5/-. Lot No.22 of
portion 24 at Tiaro.Applic. John M. .23.5.1863....
First value £72. Rec at Treasury..5th
July 1864. Free to John Maltman to value £72
John Maltman immdiately transferred land
to his parents James and Mary Maltman and brothers James and Alexander
for the amount of 72 pence. This land was issued 23.5.1863/delivered
23.5.1863. To whom delivered - Lindsay Young, Gladstone.
67/24... James Maltman second land order
posted to C.P.S. Maryborough
67/24.. James Maltman issued 12.2.1867
delivered 12.2.1867 by post to C.P.S. office Maryborough for amount
£12. Refer 1st C/63/553. .23.3.1863.. John Maltman.
Received at Treasury 21.3.1867. Land
Admin Maryborough - Arr .18.1.1868.
LETITIA ROSE MULHOLLAND
who came to Australia fron Cork, Ireland, married James MALTMAN.
Letitia sailed on Golden Land~ 825 tons,11.7.1865 under contract
No. 4012. Ticket bought fron Scott an agent at Queenstown, Ireland later
to be called Cove Harbour. 'Cobh' is Gaelic name for this very
historic and interesting harbour. Queenstown Harbour was named
after Queen Victoria, but when Ireland became a republic, they did away
with that. The museum has marvellous displays of relics and stories of 'Lusitania'
and other vessels wrecked near Cobh Harbour. The 'Titanic' on its
maiden voyage, made Cobh Harbour its last port of call, before
its sad misadventure with an iceberg. Cobh is where prisoners, during
the convict era, lived in rotting hulks for months or years, before
being sent to Australia or America.
Letitia Rose MULHOLLAND
was a daughter of Richard Mulholland and Letitia (nee Shepherd)
who were Innkeepers at Dripsey, a village in Innishearra, which is a
little west of Cork city on the beautiful River Lee. Nothing remains of
the inn today, but Richard was a lessee of four acres of townland
consisting of house, office and land from Thomas Godfrey. He owned and
leased out four other blocks of 36 perches.
This comment system requires
you to be logged in through either a Disqus account or an
account you already have with Google, Twitter, Facebook or
Yahoo. In the event you don't have an account with any of these
companies then you can create an account with Disqus. All
comments are moderated so they won't display until the moderator
has approved your comment.