Check all the Clans that have DNA Projects. If your Clan is not in the list there's a way for it to be listed. Electric Scotland's Classified Directory An amazing collection of unique holiday cottages, castles and apartments, all over Scotland in truly amazing locations.

Hugh David Lumsden


Lumsden, Hugh David, Montreal, Dominion Land Surveyor, and Provincial Land Surveyor for the Province of Ontario, and member of the Institute of Civil Engineers, England, was born at Belhelvie Lodge, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, on the 7th of September, 1844. He is the youngest son of the late Colonel Thomas Lumsden, C.B., of Belhelvie Lodge, Aberdeenshire, and Hay Burnett, his wife, second daughter of John Burnett, of Elrich, Aberdeenshire. The other members of the family were five sons and five daughters, viz:- General Sir Harry Burnett Lumsden, now of Belhelvie Lodge; John McVeigh Lumsden, now of Galt, Canada; Thomas Lumsden, late of St. Francoise Xavier, Manitoba (who was killed in Sept., 1885, by being gored by a bull belonging to himself); General Sir Peter Stark Lumsden, lately commissioner for the settlement of the Afghan boundary; William Henry Lumsden, who was killed in action near Delhi, on the 25th August, 1857, a lieutenant in the 68th, Native infantry. Of the five daughters, the eldest married the Rev. James Johnstone, of Potterton, Aberdeenshire; the second married the late Colonel John Patton, of Grandholme, Aberdeenshire; the third married Captain George Cleghorn (now Tancred), an officer of the Scots Greys, now of Weens, Roxboroughshire; the fourth is unmarried, and the fifth married the late captain Frank Sherlock, of Brighton, England. H. D. Lumsden was educated at Belleview Academy, Aberdeen, and at Wimbledon School, Surrey, England. He joined the 34th battalion as lieutenant of No. 7 company, in the spring of 1867; received a second class M.S. certificate in July of same year, and continued in that position until promoted to the captaincy of the same company about the year 1876, when owing to constant absence, he was allowed to resign, retaining rank. He was reeve of the township of Eldon, in the County of Victoria, during the year 1870, and president of the Eldon Branch Agricultural Association for that year. He was engineer-in-charge of the location party on the northern portion of the Toronto and Nipissing Railway, in the County of Victoria, under Edmund Wragge, from October, 1870, to April, 1871; engineer in charge of location of a portion of the Toronto, Grey and Bruce railway (Dundalk to Berkeley), from May to August, 1871; engineer in charge of survey for the Northern Railway from Penetanguishene to Coldwater, from August to November, 1871. Also from December of the same year to December of 1872, he was in the employment of the Northern Railway, under Mr. Moberly, making surveys and the location of the portion of the Meaford branch, Washago to Gravenhurst and Bracebridge, King to Angus, etc. From the beginning of January, 1873 to December, 1874, he was engineer in charge of surveys on the Credit Valley and Victoria railways. From May, 1875, to June, 1876, he was in charge of a survey party for the contractors of the G.B. branch of the C.P.R., between the mouth of French river and Lake Amabel du Fond. Mr. Murdoch, C.E. being chief engineer. From August, 1876 to July, 1879, he was in charge of the Georgian Bay branch surveys location and construction for the Dominion government. From May, 1880, to march, 1881, he was in charge of a party on the survey in the North-West territories for the Canadian Pacific Railway from Bird Tail Creek, north-westward; and from march, 1881, to November, 1884, was chief engineer of the Ontario and Quebec Railway. He has been, from the latter date to the present, engineer on the Canadian Pacific Railway. Mr. Lumsden served his tine, and subsequently practised as a P.L.S. in Woodville, in the County of Victoria, until 1881, when he removed to Toronto, where he remained until November, 1881, when he moved to Montreal, where he at present resides. He is a member of the St. Andrew's Society, of Toronto, and was elected a member of the Institute of Civil Engineers, England, in March, 1885. He was baptised in and still is a member of the Church of England. He married, in Toronto, on the 29th October, 1885, Mary Frederica, only daughter of J.W.G. Whitney of that city.


Return to Canadian Scottish History