McLaughlin, James Frances,
one of Toronto's prominent general grain and flour dealers, was born at
Mono Mills, in the County of Cardwell, on May 1st, 1852. His father, who
was one of the worthiest and most highly respected inhabitants of
Cardwell, came to Canada in 1830, and settled at Mono Mills, for this
latter name came to be applied in consequence of the existence of Mr.
McLaughlin's mill. The subject of our sketch received the best education
that could be obtained at Mono Mills; and when he had attained his
fifteenth year, he left school and began to learn the business of milling
in his father's employ. But he was a young man of altogether unusual
energy, capacity and ambition. This is well proven by the fact, that when
be reached his twentieth year he bought his father out, undertook himself
the management of the mills, and simultaneously conducted a general store.
It is not often that a young man of twenty as much as this can be said.
This double and extensive business Mr. McLaughlin managed with marked
ability and success till 1881, when a desire, which he had had for some
time, to go to Toronto, prevailed. In the Queen City he saw an opening for
a succe5sful grain and flour business; and in such manner he established
himself there. He did not let his hold upon the profitable, and now
historic, Mono Mills go, but, still carries them on in conjunction with
his business in grain and flour. It is hardly necessary to say that the
success which attended Mr. McLaughlin~ez_rsquo~s early exertions has not been
denied to him in his new and larger sphere. For the greater part his time
and attention are absorbed by his large and growing business, nevertheless
he has paid much attention to politics in his day. He contested Cardwell
with Thomas White, (now Minister of the Interior), in 1882, and though he
was not successful, he polled the largest vote ever given to a, liberal
candidate in that constituency. Our subject has travelled much, and in his
travels he has kept his eyes observantly open. He married, September,
1883, lsabella Small, who had formerly resided at Mono Mills. By this
union he has had one child. Mr. McLaughlin is a Roman catholic. He is
extremely genial, and very agreeable in manner.
James Francis McLaughlin
was born in Mono Mills, Mono Township, *Simcoe County Ontario
1852. James was the son of Michael McLaughlin 1810-1893 and Mary Keenan
1812-1899. Michael was born in Omagh Barony, Parish of Longfield, County
Tyrone, Ireland and immigrated to Canada with his parents and six
brothers and sisters about 1819.
Michael's parents were
Francis McLaughlin 1760-1834 and Alice maiden name not known, died 1848.
Francis McLaughlin, James' grandfather was the founder of Mono Mills.
James F. McLaughlin's
mother, Mary Keenan was the daughter of John Keenan and Eleanor
Montague. Also from County Tyrone, the Keenan's were early settlers of
Adjala Township,Simcoe County. Mary Keenan's sister Sarah married
Francis McLaughlin, a brother of Michael McLaughlin.
James McLaughlin's wife,
Isabella Small was also born in Adjala, the daughter of Peter Small and
James' and Isabella
daughter, Isabel W. McLaughlin born 1898 and was sponsored at her
baptism by Daniel Small and Mrs Small, (Josephine Kormann). Daniel was
the brother of Peter Small and the father of Ambrose Small, the Theatre
Impresario who disappeared in 1919. The Small family was originally from
Queens County Ireland, (Laois).
I don't know the source
of the James McLaughlin biography but it seems remarkable that they
didn't mention his origins, unless the contributor "cleaned it up" so to
speak. I will acknowledge that Irish Catholics did face certain
obstacles in Toronto at the time of this bio being written. Anyway keep
up the good work.
*Mono became part of
Dufferin County in 1881. The County of Cardwell consisted of four
townships, Caledon, Albion, Mono and Adjala. This County was formed for
political purposes, It was a federal Government Riding and a Census
enumeration district. It did not interfere with the workings of the
Counties that the four mentioned Townships belonged to.
3912 Route 114
Hopewell Cape NB