An ancient town in
Perth and Kinross, situated on the Alyth Burn 5 miles (8km) east of
Blairgowrie. It lies at the foot of the Braes of Angus in the valley of
Strathmore close to Perthshire's eastern boundary with Angus. Created a
burgh with a marketing function in 1488, Alyth developed in association
with cattle droving and the wool, jute and linen trades. Its Market
Cross dates from 1670 and in the Norman-style Parish Church (1839) there
is a Pictish Stone. The Alyth Arches stand on the site of the 6th
century church of St Moluag.
A folk museum features displays on local agrarian history and the Alyth
Hotel was the home of the inventor James Sandy (b.1766) who created the
invisible hinge. Near the town are the ruins of Bamff Castle, a Ramsay
stronghold, and to the north-east on Barry Hill stands an Iron Age fort
that also has traditional associations with the King Arthur legend.
There is an 18-hole golf course and walks through the Den O' Alyth and
along the Drovers' Road that skirts the Hill of Alyth (966 ft). The much
smaller planned village of New Alyth stands on the
Blairgowrie-Kirriemuir road to the south-west. Sawmilling, agricultural
machinery and the manufacture of glass are modern industries associated
with the town.
Places To Visit In this Area Include:
Secluded and unsignposted village built on private property. Houses
overlook village green split by rushing burn.
Remains of Pictish fort on top of hill. Guinevere, King Arthur's
queen, is said to have been imprisoned here for loving Pictish prince.
View rewards climb.
Village, dating from 19th century, on River Tay. Birnam Wood mostly
birch and oak. Terrace Walk along right bank of Tay passes oak said to be
last survivor of original Birnam Wood featured in prophecy of Macbeth's
Blairgowrie and Rattray
Scotland's largest working water wheel on view at Keathbank Mill.
Heraldic crests centre here. Two towns linked by 19th-century bridge over
River Ericht. North of town, river rushes through 200ft deep gorge
overlooked by 17th-century Craighall.
Described as finest 2 acres of private garden in country. Gardeners
from all over world come to see collection of plants including
rhododendrons, alpines, and herbaceous and peat-garden plants.
Bridge of Cally
Peaceful village in sheltered gorge at meeting place of River Ardle
and Black Water. Choice of walks through deciduous forests.
Camperdown House and Country Park
European brown bears, wolves, lynxes, arctic foxes, reindeer,
raccoons and golden eagles can be seen at wildlife centre. Other
activities include golf, horse riding, tennis and Adventure Park. House
has golf museum tracing sport's history.
From Law of Dundee, hill of volcanic rock in centre of town, views
of surrounding areas including docks. Iron Age hill-fort and War Memorial
here. McManus Galleries have displays of history and art including Dutch,
French, Italian and British paintings, and oldest known astrolabe --
dating from 1555. Barrack Street Museum has natural history exhibits.
Steeple of St Mary's Tower, dating from 16th century, now museum of church
and local history. Ruins of Mains of Fintry Castle in Caird Park. Mills
Observatory has displays on astrology and space travel, and allows public
to use telescopes. Traditional methods of sweet making explained at Shaw's
Sweet Factory- Frigate Unicorn, oldest British-built ship still
afloat is now museum for Royal Navy. 11115 Discovery, Captain
Scott's ship, has displays of ship's history, with actors reliving events
on board. In suburb of Broughty Ferry, 4 miles east of town, Broughty
Castle houses museum of whaling and local life.
Ruined cathedral dates from 12th century, 14th-century choir now
houses parish church. Cathedral and High Streets have restored
17th-century houses, one of which has metal ell, measurement for cloth, on
wall. Scottish Horse Museum has memorabilia of one of Scotland's two
Highland yeomanry regiments.
Iron Age hill-fort enclosed by strong rampart -- said to be site of
Pictish symbol stone in ruins of Eassie church. Cross and figures
carved on one side; elephant men and animals on other.
St Marnock's Church dates from 1453 and has medieval painted
panels, bronze alms dish and bell dated 1508. Jougs -- iron collars for
tying up wrongdoers -- still hang from oak doors. Nearby Fowlis Castle
built early 17th century.
Glamis Castle, childhood home of Queen Mother and birthplace of
Princess Margaret, reputed to be most haunted stately home in Britain.
Six-storey tower built in 15th century, but wings, turrets and castellated
parapets added in the 17th century. Collection of tapestries, paintings,
furniture and weapons. Parkland and formal garden laid out by Capability
Brown; also 2lft high sundial with 84 dials. Angus Folk Museum in Kirkwynd
has collection of furnishings, clothes and tools used by local community
over last 200 years housed in 19th-century cottages. Glamis Stone nearby
has intricate carvings.
From gentle, forested slopes around village of Clova, glen narrows
to wild mountain home of red deer, wildcat and ptarmigan.
River Isla runs through picturesque valley for 17 miles. Loch
fishing, horse riding and cross-country skiing. Highland Adventure Centre
at Knockshannach, east of Kirkton of Glenisla.
Roadside cairn in memory of Captain Scott and Dr Wilson, who
planned their Antarctic exploration at Dr Wilson's home in the glen. Walks
through birch woods along glen.
The Hermitage Woodland
Walk leads through wooded area containing numerous exotic trees,
beneath 19th-century railway bridge, along River Braan, past 18th-century
bridge to folly over-looking waterfall.
Highland Motor Heritage Centre
Classic and vintage cars, costumes and accessories displayed in
authentic period settings. Driving game, free slot-car racing and motor
Remains of castellated mansion consisting of two medieval towers,
linked by--another tower in
17th century. Ceiling timbers carved with scrolls, fruit and the faces of
dragons and other animals. Fragments of colourful wall paintings remain.
Ramparts and ditches of timber fortress built by Roman general
Agricola in AD 83.
Three-storey house is the start for Victorian walk which passes
wooded river bank where Queen Victoria once took tea, then 4 mile climb up
Kindrogan Hill where surrounding mountains are indicated on circular map.
Village overlooking Carse of Gowrie, River Tay and Ochil Hills.
Kinnaird Castle dates from 12th century -- restored in 1855 and now
Kirkton of Glenisla
Ruined Forter Castle stands 4 miles north-west of village. The
village itself is on River Isla.
Birthplace of author and playwright J.M. Barrie, creator of Peter
Pan. His home now houses Bane Museum. On hill behind the graveyard where
Barrie is buried is cricket pavilion with camera obscura. Views north
towards highlands and south across Strathmore Valley.
Loch of Kinnordy
Freshwater loch with large numbers of nesting water birds.
Loch of the Lowes
Loch is part of Scottish Wildlife Trust reserve. Hide allows for
viewing of water birds and pair of nesting ospreys. Visitor centre has
wildlife exhibition and several small aquaria. Woods surrounding centre
populated by roe and fallow deer.
Megginch Castle Gardens
The grounds of this 15th-century castle have a physic garden,
16th-century rose garden, astrological garden and 1000-year-old yews.
Meigle Museum contains 25 Pictish and early Christian carved
stones, found in churchyard.
Beech hedge, 100ft high and 580yds long, forms eastern border of
Marquis of Lansdowne's home
-- said to be largest hedge of its kind in world.
Ancient city, made Royal Burgh in 1210, though few old buildings
remain. St John's Kirk conse-crated in 1243, but now mainly 15th century.
From here, John Knox preached his sermon on idolatry that resulted in
church wrecking throughout Scotland. Restored mill from 18th century
produces flour and oatmeal in the traditional way. Fair Maid of Perth's
House, once home of Catherine Glover, heroine of Sir Walter Scott's novel,
now a craft shop. Black Watch Museum and Gallery holds treasures of
High-land regiments. Perth Art Gallery and Museum has displays of local
history, art, natural history and archaeology. Whisky blending explained
at Dewar's distillery. Walk up Kinnoul Hill to folly at top, views of
Village of 18th-century cottages and houses. North-east stands a
prehistoric burial mound.
Impressive waterfall where River Isla cascades into deep gorge.
Pink-stone castellated mansion, enlarged in 1803 around
16th-century and earlier buildings. Place where kings of Scotland were
crowned. Interior reveals china, ivories, clocks and exquisite French
furniture -- including Marie Antoinette's writing table. Grounds include
pinetum, wood-land garden, children's play-ground and picnic area.
Elaborately decorated chapel on Moot Hill in front of palace.
Well-preserved example of Iron Age earth house, comprising
pas-sage, long gallery and small inner chambers. Close by is dovecote
shaped like house, built 1595.
kindly supplied by Scot Travel